Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   If your 30+ lb child uses a car seat with 5-pt harness . . . . (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501402)

Sha-nanagins 03-19-2013 11:39 AM

If your 30+ lb child uses a car seat with 5-pt harness . . . .

PLEASE check your car and/or carseat's manual or this link:
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...&postcount=123

This information is from the manual used by certified car seat installers, and was updated in January.

Basically - the LATCH system (the lower anchors that you can use to install a carseat without using the seat belt) was designed to hold car seats designed for children no more than 40 lbs. Since the newer seats hold bigger children, the combined weight of your child AND the carseat may be more than the LATCH system is certified and tested to hold without breaking in the event of an accident. The link above gives the weight limits for most vehicle brands as well as the weight of the most popular car seats. PLEASE CHECK! Most vehicles have a combined weight limit of 65 lbs. Most car seats weigh 20 - 25 lbs., meaning that you will need to use the vehicle seatbelt to hold the carseat in place instead of the LATCH system when your child is around 40 lbs when fully dressed.

If would never have occurred to me to check this, but I'm glad I did. Because our carseat is so heavy, we will need to change the way we secure the seat for our 3 year old.

(I know this probably should go in the carseat forum, but this is something all parents need to check, and I was afraid it wouldn't be seen there).

3 ladybugs 03-19-2013 12:04 PM

Re: If your 30+ lb child uses a car seat with 5-pt harness . . . .

Thanks for the reminder. I follow the carseat board so I knew this but I wasn't happy when I found out that our Frontier's latch is basically worthless. :banghead:

meeshkasheeba 03-19-2013 12:49 PM

We have gone to not using the latch system at all because both of our boys are big enough that there may be issues in one seat or another and between all of us there are 8 seats to keep track of. I know MIL's both expire dec of next year, Owen is too big to be harnessed in her car in either seat and Ethan is 5lbs away from that when dressed so her car is high on the radar, but we quit using the latch systems because they both are big enough that them plus the seat are too heavy in most of the cars.

Thanks for the reminder, many people don't know this.

danielle 03-19-2013 12:49 PM

Hmm. We have a Nautilus in our Toyota Prius holding our 41 pound daughter using Latch. I think this directly affects us.

Thanks for the information. I would never have looked in the carseat forum for any reason.

And eta I had no idea about this, even though I imagine it's my job as a parent to know this.

canadianbakers 03-19-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danner (Post 16412089)
And eta I had no idea about this, even though I imagine it's my job as a parent to know this.

:) No reason to feel that way! It's just really coming into question and being brought up in the "car seat world", so it'll be a bit before it's more common knowledge, kwim?

dagmomma 03-19-2013 01:27 PM

What about a odyssey anyone know

Fashionably Green Baby 03-19-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbakers

:) No reason to feel that way! It's just really coming into question and being brought up in the "car seat world", so it'll be a bit before it's more common knowledge, kwim?

Yep! I am pretty up and up and I am even one of those crazy carseat ERF ladies (DS is still RF at 4) :giggle: and I just recently found out what a big deal this is. It directly affected us as week since I had a 42 lb child in a nautilus using latch.

rosefall 03-19-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagmomma (Post 16412270)
What about a odyssey anyone know

Honda has a 40 lb child weight limit for LATCH, I think.

dagmomma 03-19-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosefall (Post 16412645)
Honda has a 40 lb child weight limit for LATCH, I think.

So I would not be able to use the latch for a 38 pound child

canadianbakers 03-19-2013 04:12 PM

All vehicles used to have a LATCH limit - some said 40lbs, some said 48lbs, and some did say they could be used to the max weight limit of the seats. Depended on the vehicle manufacturer.
This was standard when LATCH was first "released" (not the right word, I know). But car seats then usually only harnessed to 40 or 48lbs.
Now, though, car seats harness to much higher weight limits (a lot to 65lbs) and the seats themselves are heavier than they used to be, sometimes a lot (thinking of the radians). So, the LATCH anchors used to be fine for a 40lb kid + a 10lb seat, but those same anchors aren't going to be okay with a 65lb kid + a 25lb seat, kwim?
Part of the problem with this new number is that people are going to have to know what the car seat weighs as well. Not so "user-friendly".

After the child is too heavy for LATCH, parents would/will just have to use the seat belt for install.