Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Need a rec for a toddler carrier for a kid in the 95th+ percentile... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501418)

Dani_Phen 03-19-2013 12:27 PM

Need a rec for a toddler carrier for a kid in the 95th+ percentile...

Ok, so I need a reccommendation for a toddler carrier. My little guy is 20 months old and between 30 and 35 pounds...big kid. He's solid...95th percentile for height and weight. I have a mei tai that I used for working in the garden and walking this past summer but he's just too big for it...he's so tall he about falls out of it and he can walk on his own most of the time now.

Now I'd like to get something, WAHM or not, that I can use for around the house while he's sick and wants to hang off my hip all day. He's been in and out of colds and other seasonal bugs since the beginning of the year. Each time lasting around a week or so and he wants me to hold him while I clean, wash dishes, cook, etc...so he can feel comforted but is occupied too, I suppose. He doesn't want me to sit and hold him on the chair or to rock him. He just wants me to hold him while I do my general housework. No idea why but it's the only thing soothing him and he won't nap. Any recs or ideas of what I can get for him? Thanks!!

Amandamama 03-19-2013 02:31 PM

Re: Need a rec for a toddler carrier for a kid in the 95th+ percentile...

Kinderpack. They come in different sizes, you can look at their toddler or probably preschool size. You'll be able to wear him easily on your back.
Her website is kindercarry.com
Get one with plus straps if you're at all tall, not just plus size for clothes. I'm 5'8 and need her plus straps. Super comfy & great resale value.

squirrly 03-19-2013 03:56 PM

Another KP rec. My son is 22 mo/25 lb, and TALL for his age. We've been using a Toddler KP with standard straps and I love it. (I'm 5'8" also, clothes size 4 or 6 mostly.)

lauraz76 03-20-2013 07:13 AM

I was going to say Babyhawk, as I used it to wear my DD at about that age, on my back. But the Kinderpack sounds great too!

homebirthmom 03-20-2013 07:35 AM

beco gemini. i wore my 2 1/2 yr old till I sold my carrier and I only did that to get a gender neutral one for next baby

Dani_Phen 03-20-2013 01:28 PM

Great! Thanks. I'm fairly new to babywearing and only used a mei tai after he was almost a year old...lol. I didn't even know what else was out there.

squirrly 03-20-2013 03:15 PM

I think a Gemini is probably too narrow to comfortably accommodate a toddler that size, just FYI. The body panel on those is smaller than most SSCs.

TLCx 03-21-2013 02:07 PM

I also recommend the toddler Kinderpack. I carry my 27month old he is 33lbs and 95 percentile for height.

Dani_Phen 03-21-2013 05:56 PM

Thanks ladies!

TooBusyBearcubs 03-21-2013 06:27 PM

You might want to take a look at this site: http://www.theportablebaby.com/carrierfeatures.html
She has a chart that lists all (like ALL) of the pros & cons of some on the more popular baby & toddler carriers. This chart helped us decide on a Boba, and we LOVED it!
Here is her FB page, where you can ask about specific carriers: https://www.facebook.com/theportablebaby?fref=ts

Important things to look for: Their legs should be at a 90 degree angle and their back should be fully supported. Any carrier that is going to support a large child (older infant or toddler) should buckle AT YOUR HIPS (not your waist) in order to properly distribute your child's weight without putting too much pressure on your back or shoulders. Your child should be worn high (like at the level of your ribs, not your waist), whether front carry or back carry, or you & they will not be properly supported.
The Boba had all of this, as well as a bunch of nice features (like foot supports and comfort straps). My physical therapist confirmed a lot of the advice that I listed above, fyi. :goodvibes: Try it on ahead of time, and put your child in it. If it feels at all unstable or you feel like you must support your child with your hand while they are in the carrier, then it is not a good one.
Good luck, mama!