Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   GD mamas, please commiserate with me (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501457)

bumminbeachbabe 03-19-2013 02:40 PM

GD mamas, please commiserate with me

This is my first pregnancy with diagnosed GD. They suspect I had it with my boys, but it wasn't caught. The only reason they found it this time is because I didn't want to do the GTT, so I checked my blood sugar 4 times a day.

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and on twice daily insulin injections. We tried to control with diet, but I was having to eliminate nearly all carbs. I was losing weight, so I went on Metformin and even with a seriously low carb diet I wasn't able to control my sugars.

I've been on insulin now for 2 weeks and have had the dietitian tweak my diet because it's really important that I gain some weight. I'm now supposed to be eating 230g carb per day and at least 16oz of protein. Obviously that is affecting the insulin that I need. The last few days my numbers have been high or hugging the line. My insulin will be increased again.

Are there other mamas with GD that can relate? I see that there are a lot that have diet controlled or control with a bit of oral medications. Is there anybody else that is having to do insulin injections twice daily?

happy2beamom 03-19-2013 03:11 PM

Re: GD mamas, please commiserate with me

:hugs: mama.

i don't have insulin experience, just diet controlled, but didn't want to leave you thinking you were alone.

weesej 03-19-2013 08:26 PM

Yup, I was on 4 times daily insulin. It is very normal for your needs to go up until delivery....that's just because of the placenta hormone load keeps going up. Don't worry about the amount you are on, just take enough to control the sugars. One thing that helped me control those wretched after breakfast # is I ate the same breakfast every day....2 eggs and 1 slice of toast with 1 t natural jam. That way I knew any increases were not just due to a dietary slip-up. I was able to be more flexible with lunch and supper. Just to make you feel better...I ended up on a total of 220!!! units per day this last time AND IT STILL WENT AWAY AFTER DELIVERY. None of the Drs can believe it:) Baby weighed a healthy 8lbs 11 oz a few days shy of 38 weeks.

CntryMama 03-19-2013 08:36 PM

Have you heard of Karen Hurds diet - I heard it works...

http://bethany.preciousinfants.com/2...continued.aspx

bumminbeachbabe 03-20-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesej
Yup, I was on 4 times daily insulin. It is very normal for your needs to go up until delivery....that's just because of the placenta hormone load keeps going up. Don't worry about the amount you are on, just take enough to control the sugars. One thing that helped me control those wretched after breakfast # is I ate the same breakfast every day....2 eggs and 1 slice of toast with 1 t natural jam. That way I knew any increases were not just due to a dietary slip-up. I was able to be more flexible with lunch and supper. Just to make you feel better...I ended up on a total of 220!!! units per day this last time AND IT STILL WENT AWAY AFTER DELIVERY. None of the Drs can believe it:) Baby weighed a healthy 8lbs 11 oz a few days shy of 38 weeks.

I don't eat anything new anymore. Then I know that the insulin isn't enough and we adjust. Eating the same things over and over again is driving me crazy. I'll never eat eggs again.

My dietitian is concerned that I may have diabetes. She asked me to see my pcp for testing. My insulin is adjusted twice a week. I just want to eat what I want when hungry instead of feeling like a slave to food.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

sma123 03-20-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe
This is my first pregnancy with diagnosed GD. They suspect I had it with my boys, but it wasn't caught. The only reason they found it this time is because I didn't want to do the GTT, so I checked my blood sugar 4 times a day.

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and on twice daily insulin injections. We tried to control with diet, but I was having to eliminate nearly all carbs. I was losing weight, so I went on Metformin and even with a seriously low carb diet I wasn't able to control my sugars.

I've been on insulin now for 2 weeks and have had the dietitian tweak my diet because it's really important that I gain some weight. I'm now supposed to be eating 230g carb per day and at least 16oz of protein. Obviously that is affecting the insulin that I need. The last few days my numbers have been high or hugging the line. My insulin will be increased again.

Are there other mamas with GD that can relate? I see that there are a lot that have diet controlled or control with a bit of oral medications. Is there anybody else that is having to do insulin injections twice daily?

I did insulin 4x a day this last pregnancy... It SUCKED! I also took glyburide 2x a day. I delivered on 2/11/13 and had a healthy baby. It'll be over soon enough mama ;)

kynid 03-20-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe (Post 16414499)
I don't eat anything new anymore. Then I know that the insulin isn't enough and we adjust. Eating the same things over and over again is driving me crazy. I'll never eat eggs again.

My dietitian is concerned that I may have diabetes. She asked me to see my pcp for testing. My insulin is adjusted twice a week. I just want to eat what I want when hungry instead of feeling like a slave to food.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

I eat a lot of unsalted cashews. Lots of cal and fat with no to no carbs or sugar. :thumbsup:

weesej 03-20-2013 02:56 PM

I thought I would never eat eggs again either:) DH was rather surprised when I asked him to make me an omelet last Sat. It isn't fun, but you will make it.

BTW I have been told I was surely a true diabetic for all 5 of my GD pregnancies. The Drs are always convinced that I am...especially this last time. I needed insulin by 14 weeks and was on "industrial strength insulin", but my sugars are totally normal. I even checked after a very HIGH CARB breakfast this week and was only at 92 at 1 hour. Now...given...I am very high risk for developing diabetes, but it isn't here yet. The Blood Sugar Solution by Dr Hyman is a good read for any fellow mamas struggling with preventing diabetes after GD.