Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Homebirth 'mess' (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501863)

NappyChappy 03-20-2013 05:24 PM

Homebirth 'mess'

So I have become very phobic about blood even my own. I do not remember how much blood and bodily fluids there were with DS mostly because I didn't care. Well now I do and am afraid I might freak out if there is a ton of blood everywhere. Everything that gets soiled is to be thrown out unless its a permanent fixture.

So what was your experience? What got blood on it and what should I expect?

Junipervt 03-20-2013 05:30 PM

Re: Homebirth 'mess'

my midwives were good about placement of chux pads, so other than the bowl the placenta was put in & the receiving blankets DS was wrapped in they were the only things that got blood/fluids on them. they are designed to be thrown away anyway. I don't really remember there being any mess. They cleaned up pretty quickly.

bigmamakelsey 03-20-2013 05:33 PM

Get a TON of chux pads. Both my births were incredibly messy affairs. With my first it was mostly my water that was artificially ruputred that got everywhere, and my second is was my water as well but I did bleed considerably more. Just put chux everywhere, and if you have old towels that helps too. But really, your midwife will be doing the cleaning. No one expects a new mom to care for that stuff ;) In the heat of labor and the time I was enjoying my new baby, I was unaware of how it all got cleaned up, but it did!

babysniffles 03-20-2013 05:42 PM

Cheap shower curtains and chux, chux, chux! Can't tell that anyone ever birthed there.

MakingHome 03-20-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babysniffles (Post 16417252)
Cheap shower curtains and chux, chux, chux! Can't tell that anyone ever birthed there.

Yup to this. They took care of the mess and it was all gone and tidy by the time they put me in bed to rest.

Leah52 03-20-2013 06:33 PM

Chux. I never saw any blood (I don't even look at the placenta) and my midwife is magical with the laundry, I have used the same sheets, towels, and receiving blankets for years and 3 births.

brandyleigh 03-21-2013 07:39 AM

I just remember blood where I birthed our daughter. And even then I don't remember much...my thoughts were elsewhere and they cleaned it all up and enjoyed the baby! Life was simple for me! :)

NappyChappy 03-21-2013 07:51 AM

I have 2 plastic drop cloths, tons of old towels, 3 old sheets, and 23 chux pads. All of which is to be thrown away. Do you think that's enough. We have a protective cover on our bed if my water breaks while laying down. I don't think that will freak me out too much. I am just trying to prepare myself mentally and to think ahead. I am already 38 weeks 4 days- 4cm 75%effaced so definitely close.

~Cricket~ 03-21-2013 09:54 AM

I was told to make up my bed with two sets of sheets and an old shower curtain underneath for extra protection. My babies were born in the bath, though, so the bed stayed clean and the tub was rinsed out. :)
But, if you birth in your bed, I'm sure you'll have those absorbent pads placed under you, and those will be chucked, and after you're cleaned up, the top sheets can be thrown in the laundry, and you'll be left with clean sheets on the bed, ready to go.
Don't stress about the mess - it's totally been a non-issue with all of my babies.

~Cricket~ 03-21-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NappyChappy (Post 16418847)
I have 2 plastic drop cloths, tons of old towels, 3 old sheets, and 23 chux pads. All of which is to be thrown away. Do you think that's enough. We have a protective cover on our bed if my water breaks while laying down. I don't think that will freak me out too much. I am just trying to prepare myself mentally and to think ahead. I am already 38 weeks 4 days- 4cm 75%effaced so definitely close.

More than enough. :) You'll be just fine. And yes, it sounds like you're really close! All the best for a great birth!