Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you have a rocking chair? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1501959)

mamaspice 03-21-2013 12:25 AM

I didn't with the last baby, but I'm thinking I would like to with this one. Any recommendations?

I've always liked the look of a plain wooden rocker, but should I go with a more padded one for comfort?

Thanks!

jennayoung99 03-21-2013 12:30 AM

I have a glider, just a cheap one from walmart, but I use it almost nightly, I love it.

chello 03-21-2013 12:30 AM

Re: Do you have a rocking chair?

I have an old ugly from the 70's super overstuffed comfy rocker with wide arms that I adore. I can sleep in it which is wonderful for the beginning when you pass out every time the baby latches on :giggle: and the wide arms are good for the other littles who want to sit with mommy when she's nursing. I don't understand the wooden glider rockers that are shown in every single catalog photo of a baby nursery. They just don't seem practical :goodvibes:

neuro_mom 03-21-2013 12:40 AM

I have an antique oak rocking chair that I reupholstered. It has a padded seat and back. However, I ended up wrapping small blankets around the arms of the rocking chair because they aren't padded. Seemed my lo would hit his head on the wood when there was no padding. I still use the rocking chair to rock him to sleep at 13 months and find that the padding still helps to keep him from having to lie against hard wood.

iris0110 03-21-2013 12:41 AM

I had a giant recliner when Kearnan was a baby and I slept in it with him some. It wasn't in our bedroom though, it was in the living room. When Tharen was a baby we had a hammock chair and I would rock and swing with him in that but dh did it more than I did (I get motion sickness if I'm not careful). Kearnan was the one who really loved it and I am sad we have no where to hang it in our house now. We still have a giant recliner but I hate the thing. The dog hides behind it, it makes the living room seem to small and the boys fight over who gets to sit in it (two boys with spd and both want to rock all of the time). I want to get rid of it and get a wooden rocker or Poang from Ikea.

RunawayBunny 03-21-2013 03:36 AM

I have a wooden glider (not a nursery one, though) at my house and a classic wooden rocker at my mom's (where I live when DH deploys). The glider was Amish made and has pads. I love it! The rocker is unpadded so I folded a blanket to cover the seat and back. Plain wood was too uncomfortable for me.

danielle 03-21-2013 06:41 AM

My babies are 2 and 4. I ditched our glider awhile back but we inherited the family rocking chair and it is beautiful. I nursed my daughter in it many times when it was our grammie's and now I still snuggle and rock them in it.

I recommend you get an enduring piece if you have the room/money for it, but anything comes in handy for infants who crave motion. Our glider was from cl and served it's purpose.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using DS Forum

Nerissa 03-21-2013 06:49 AM

Yes i have a wooden one with seat and back pads and matching foot sttol that glides. I have had it with all my kids and love it. In fact i am currently nursing the baby in it.

luvsviola 03-21-2013 07:17 AM

I prefer the smoothness of a glider. We have a Dutailier extra wide that we bought with DD (6) and have used it every night since we bought it.

IMO, the extra wide and the recline is worth the extra money because now DD2 (2) likes to sit next to me instead of on my lap, and the recline makes it more comfy. We have a standard width one with no recline in DS's room and it isn't nearly so comfy.

Teddyandnick 03-21-2013 07:51 AM

I have an Amish made glider with cushions. I love it and have used it with both my boys. Both my boys love using it too. I actually slept in it for a couple nights after my 1st csection I also have the rocking chair that my mom used when I was a baby. I find the glider much more comfortable.