Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help! Getting nervous about upcoming surgery and general anesthesia (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502029)

looking8186 03-21-2013 09:33 AM

Help! Getting nervous about upcoming surgery and general anesthesia

X-posted from SN forum because I know not everyone looks there!

Hey mamas,

My dd goes in on Monday (the 25th) for an umbilical hernia repair and I'm getting super freaked out. I had been told (not sure why) that she was going to be sedated but not under general anesthesia... I just talked to the nurse who informed me that it WILL in fact be general anesthesia and she will have a breathing tube etc. I'm getting really nervous.. When she was sedated for an MRI I was able to be with her the whole time but the nurse says she may wake up without me.. I'm really nervous that she's going to completely freak out.

They also told me that she will not get anything other than OTC meds for pain when at home... Should I push for a stronger rx?

I also have not told her about this yet, I planned to tell her a day or two before so it doesn't freak her out too much... Good plan or should I tell her asap? How do you prepare your kiddos for surgery?

Any help/advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated...
Please help me chill out!

MaterofJacob 03-21-2013 11:26 AM

Re: Help! Getting nervous about upcoming surgery and general anesthesia

I would let know ow so she has time to process and be mentally ready. If you wait it may seem like its coming on her all of the sudden which could case more of a freak out. But make sure you are calm when you tell her. If she picks up on you being worried and scared it'll just make her worried and scared too. Just try to remove yourself from the fact that it's your baby and remember that this is something that needs to be fixed and the doctors know what they are doing. Answer her questions truthfully and calmly. :hugs: It's going to go great :)

mibarra 03-21-2013 11:38 AM

I would give her a heads up, looks like she's around 4? DD1 has had 2 surgeries, and we talk about going to the doctor, taking special medicine, going to sleep. DD1 did not wake up either time before we were brought back to recovery, they come get us as soon as she is back there and we are there when she wakes up. It's not fun. They are groggy and disoriented and sore. Both times she just wanted to be held. They have to hold down fluids for a specified period of time before you can leave. The 1st time we were out of there in 30 minutes, the 2nd time it took 2 hours because DD1 puked up the juice and we had to wait and try again.

We never needed more than a higher does OTC med, and DD1 had cochlear implants where they drilled holes in her skull, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

It is scary, that's just the way it is. But I take comfort in the fact that if anything goes wrong all the right people are there to help her. Our docs always came out ASAP to tell us everything went well. They also gave DD1 Versed (sp??) before taking her back. She was still awake, but basically stoned and easy going, so there were no separation tears or anything. :)

CASMama711 03-21-2013 02:00 PM

Definitely start preparing her for it now.

My 16 mo old DS is having surgery next Thurs. This will be his 2nd surgery and 4th time under general anesthesia.

Where will her surgery be done? Children's hospital, adult hospital, outpatient center, etc?

jbug_4 03-22-2013 05:45 AM

We did not have time to talk to dd before she had surgery too much. She broke her arm and it was an emergency type surgery. Her second one we did not concentrate too much on it. We told her they would make her sleepy and take the pins out of her arm, then she would wake up and we'd be waiting for her. She wasn't worried, didn't have any issues. We kept every thing light while we were there- oooh look at those pretty yellow socks, ooh look at those comfy pajamas, etc. The nurses played movies on their computer while we were waiting. And they gave her the anxiety or whatever it is meds pretty early on. I was somewhere between crying and laughing because my 2 year old was drunk. She was falling over, drooling and giggly.

DD was a bear when she came to. As a side effect of the anesthesia she was really grouchy. Throwing a fit, crying hysterically. She was never a big fit thrower and I was at a complete on how to deal with it. She was throwing stuff, screaming at the top of her lungs. She wasn't suppose to walk because of being drowsy but she hit me when I tried to keep her on my lap. The nurse said some kids react that way. She also reacted that way to the tylenol with codine that was given to her after the first surgery. We very quickly switched to regular tylenol during the day and only gave her the codine at night for 2 days. The codine was suppose to help her not move her arm as much, kind of keep her down. But it made her so miserable. Instead we vegged out in front of the tv watching cartoons with a brand new Tinker Bell arm pillow. Second surgery only regular tylenol.

looking8186 03-22-2013 09:40 AM

Thank you all so much for the awesome info and experiences! I will definitely tell her today to prepare her. She is having surgery at a Children's hospital so they are very good at handling things with kiddos. I'm just going to try to make it a super fun day and experience... We'll go but new pjs to wear after and a new lovey etc

CASMama711 03-24-2013 06:45 AM

I was hoping you would say Children's hospital. They have plenty of experience with little ones and anesthesia. She'll be in good hands there!