Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Babywearing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Mei tai (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502175)

Usufarmgirl 03-21-2013 02:51 PM

Mei tai

I'm needing some help with choosing a carrier. I love the simplicity of most clip carriers however I don't find them very comfortable. I love the comfort of my moby but hate to fuss with all the bulk. A mei tai seems like a good compromise but I'm wondering if anyone has some input? Or other options I hadn't considered?

saturn 03-21-2013 03:25 PM

Re: Mei tai

What is your baby's age/weight? The other category of carrier to consider would be a ring sling. It feels a little more like a wrap, but you don't have to deal with all the extra fabric.

rebeccaj98 03-21-2013 03:40 PM

I have a moby too and DD and I both like it. But I agree, sometimes it's a pain. I also have a Boba (clip carrier similar to Ergo) but my DD is only 5 weeks old and so far every time I've tried it she just screams. I think I'm going to pick up Infantino's mei tai and see how we like it.

squirrly 03-21-2013 05:39 PM

What is it about SSCs (clip carriers) that you find uncomfortable?

Usufarmgirl 03-22-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrly (Post 16421506)
What is it about SSCs (clip carriers) that you find uncomfortable?

The straps are often to narrow, and cut into my shoulders

Usufarmgirl 03-22-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccaj98 (Post 16421081)
I have a moby too and DD and I both like it. But I agree, sometimes it's a pain. I also have a Boba (clip carrier similar to Ergo) but my DD is only 5 weeks old and so far every time I've tried it she just screams. I think I'm going to pick up Infantino's mei tai and see how we like it.

If I don't make mine that's the one I'm considering buying. Does a boba have an infant insert like the ergo? I have considered the Ergo but would definitely have to buy used to pricey for me right now

squirrly 03-22-2013 07:59 PM

The Boba 3G doesn't have an infant insert, but it can be rolled to accommodate an infant. It comes with directions.

The Boba's straps are placed slightly wider on the carrier body, so Usufarmgirl, if the distance between the straps on the Ergo is too narrow, the Boba might work for you. If it's the actual straps aren't wide enough/properly padded for you, I'd look at Olives & Applesauce carriers - the straps are wider and the padding is softer/fluffier.

Barring those, I think a mei tai, particularly one with wrap straps, might be your best bet. There are a lot of makers who convert wraps into mei tais, but you can get a few ready made from wrap manufacturers. In particular, Didymos makes a DidyTai that is SO comfortable. Hoppediz makes a HoppTie that is very similar, but I haven't tried it personally yet. Both have wide wrap straps that you can configure in a lot of ways to distribute the weight well.

saturn 03-22-2013 09:07 PM

Usufarmgirl, can you tell us specifically which carriers you have tried and found uncomfortable? I ask because there are some clip-type carriers that are notoriously uncomfortable, and if those are the only ones you've tried then almost anything would be an improvement.

iris0110 03-24-2013 12:56 AM

Hand down my favorite, most versatile and most comfortable carrier was my Freehand Mei Tai. I had one of the originals from back when the first owner was making them (you can still get them used, I don't know how the new ones are). It is a small bodied carrier but it was perfect for my youngest from 4weeks-5years and he was not a small child (8lbs 9ozs at birth and 90% consistently). We were always comfortable. I loved the Freehand so much I bought extras. I did have a few other types of Mei Tais and liked Kozy pretty well too. I was also fond of Podegis (narrow blanket, it is too hot for traditional wide blankets here).

Usufarmgirl 03-27-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saturn (Post 16425953)
Usufarmgirl, can you tell us specifically which carriers you have tried and found uncomfortable? I ask because there are some clip-type carriers that are notoriously uncomfortable, and if those are the only ones you've tried then almost anything would be an improvement.

It was a snugli brand but other than that I dont remember much.