Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   VENT: So, who took care of your toddler when . . . (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502494)

Zoethink 03-22-2013 02:37 PM

VENT: So, who took care of your toddler when . . .

you went into labor?

I am due any minute now and my care plan for DS is falling apart. :banghead:

Everyone has legitimate reasons for backing out, mostly ailing parents or grand parents, but I really just don't who to turn to. The only family who is close by is my SIL. She is totally willing to take the night shift and is great about canceling her plans on the weekends, but that leaves all day to be covered.

I have one friend who can do some afternoons, but I am not sure about the rest.

DH is great and he says it will all fall into place, but I am kinda freaking out.

What did you do?

Thanks for listening! :blush:

abunchoflemons 03-22-2013 02:44 PM

My mom but mine was in the morning before school started for oldest. My mom is retired so that helped. She wanted to be there for baby bUT ad I pointed out someone fast to watch my second child. I have neighbors that home school that would have helped our of need be our my father in law so my mom corks be there with me.

KaleidoscopeEyes 03-22-2013 02:47 PM

With ds2 fil was in waiting room with ds1. Dd1 and 2 were born at home in the middle of the night while the kids were sleeping. Dd1 came in the birth tub before baby was born. She got to see her sister born.

NotLad 03-22-2013 02:48 PM

Re: VENT: So, who took care of your toddler when . . .

My mil took my kids the first night, then dh took over and I was at the hospital by myself (well and an army of nurses)

Start asking mom friends. I would step up in a New York minute for any of my mom friends, regardless of time of day or day to day plans.

Mom2Connor 03-22-2013 03:23 PM

I have a ton of family in the area. My mom is young and in great health, and is taking time off work when I go into labor till we get home with newbie.

We also use a home daycare neighbor very occasionally and if my mom needs a break she can take him there. The neighbor will just let us know what we owe her when we return. I also have my dad, brother, and aunts locally.

No one has any health issues and I wouldn't rely on elderly parents (my Dhs mom is old and in horrible health).

EmilytheStrange 03-22-2013 03:27 PM

Family wasn't an option for us (too far away).

so, we've hired an on-call babysitter. We've never used her before.. we sorta keep meaning to have a date night so she can spend some time with DD, but sorta running out of time.

it was our only option. Luckily, it's someone who works with my DH, so it's not like they're a completely unknown person. If they back out, get sick, etc, then I guess we'll have to take DD to a friend's house, which isn't ideal, I want someone here at our house.

oh.. and once baby is born, DH will come home and take over. I will be at the hospital with new baby on my own.

s@hmommy 03-22-2013 03:46 PM

We are fortunate enough to have lots of family around that would help in a heartbeat. I have 6 siblings and 5 nieces that are grown, inlaws, my parents, sil, and several aunts and uncles that have said just call and we will work it out! I feel really blessed in that regard.

luvsviola 03-22-2013 03:48 PM

My parents and my brother/SIL take my kids in emergencies. Sometimes FIL comes, but he lives 4 hours away. DS has a feeding tube, so we are limited on caregivers.

happysmileylady 03-22-2013 03:52 PM

We left the house at 4am, my 17 yr old was woken up and told that we had to go, and she came downstairs and crashed on the couch. The 2 younger girls just stayed in bed asleep. We called my mom who came up right away (though she's almost an hour away,) and she shipped the teen up to bed and then crashed on the couch until the younger ones woke up. Then, FIL came out and stayed with the two girls around 11, so that mom and the teen could get to the hospital to see the baby born.

Throughout the time I was actually staying at the hospital, DH stayed with them.

3 ladybugs 03-22-2013 04:27 PM

I don't have family nearby but my mom is planning on coming up for my scheduled c-section assuming I make it that far. If not I have already contacted our church to find someone to take care of DS temporarily till other arrangements can be made. I think all we need to do is contact the pastor and he will arrange things for us. :)