Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Thrifty paleo breakfasts (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502678)

Marianna1988 03-23-2013 04:03 AM

Thrifty paleo breakfasts

I need ideas for breakfasts. I never know what to make, so we usually end up with Chex or some other gluten free cereal. I'm not a breakfast person, so I really (sadly) struggle with this. I don't like most standard breakfast foods, what I do like is grains (toast or bagel). The kids don't seem to care for eggs, so other than fruit I'm kind of lost. :blush:

monkeymama07 03-23-2013 10:39 AM

We so smoothies. I have one everyday

Liam likes sausage, ham, or boiled eggs with fruit.

Egg/banana/coconut flour pancakes with peanut butter.

Apples with peanut butter

We also eat non breakfast items like chicken soup, left overs from Dinner whatever....

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using DS Forum

BNC 03-25-2013 09:28 AM

Re: Thrifty paleo breakfasts

My kids basically eat fruit every day for breakfast. and sometimes eggs. Occasionally I will make pumpkin or banana pancakes, but they are hit or miss (the kids sometimes devour them and sometimes let them sit).

What about non traditional breakfasts? Why cant you have paleo hotdogs, bunless burgers, dinner leftovers?

photocat 03-26-2013 08:32 PM

Sausages or bacon with a smoothie and a piece of fruit is common here.

For a smoothie I will put in a raw egg yolk, almonds, avocado, spinach leaves, dates and cocoa for one kid, the other has raw milk, yoghurt, (yeah, not paleo these two) blueberries, vanilla essence, avocado, egg yolk and a few spinach leaves.

Sometimes scrambled eggs or slices of ham and yes, sometimes rice flakes with raw milk, or sourdough bread with lots of butter. The kids are not full on paleo.

sweetest 03-27-2013 08:57 AM

We don't do strict Paleo... I focus on no grains (still do white rice), no legumes (ever), no vegetable oil, and very little sugar. We still have cheese, cream, GF bread (Udi's white bread, yum!)

We don't keep cereal or milk in the house anymore because I kept falling back on Chex... once it was out of the house I had to find something else (it was not easy my middle child pretty much ate cereal every morning)!

So for breakfasts we do:

smoothies... pineapple, banana, frozen strawberry and coconut milk or cream
GF bread with almond butter and a little honey... or just butter
Trail mix - wish my kids would eat coconut flakes but they won't!
Cheese and cold cuts - not ideal but better than a carb breakfast IMO

Also they ususally have some kind of fruit (except with the smoothie of course) to round everything else out.