Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What counts as a toddler sentence? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503081)

eahcapemay 03-24-2013 04:07 PM

What counts as a toddler sentence?

When it comes to toddler speech what counts as a sentence? He says "What is it?" And "Where is it?" Almost as one word. He also has said "Help mama!" Do two words counts? Do they count if they are said as one word?

mibarra 03-24-2013 04:16 PM

It's tough to count without training. Those sound like stock phrases he considers one unit. I'd look for novel sentences he's created as opposed to repeating :)

eahcapemay 03-24-2013 04:25 PM

Re: What counts as a toddler sentence?

Do prompted sentences count at all? For example he can say "open" and "box" and I've been trying to prompt him to say "open box" before I open the box with his matchbox cars. We're at this awkward stage where he has loads of words but won't put any of them together.

EmilytheStrange 03-24-2013 05:26 PM

I agree with the novel sentences being created. I didn't count any 'two word phrases' as that's how those were identified in our paperwork.

but something less rote like 'puppy on table' or 'help momma stir?' that identifies a concept that's more situational.

jamieism 03-24-2013 06:15 PM

"Want nurse" and "want nurse now!"

:giggle2: sorry couldn't resist dds favorite sentence (or three word phrase?) sounds like good avice from the pps.

Newton 03-24-2013 06:20 PM

As previous posters have said I would count novel sentences/phrases as opposed to "stock" phrases e.g., me want apple, plane in sky, me go beach etc....

Geckmumto3 03-24-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 16430890)
It's tough to count without training. Those sound like stock phrases he considers one unit. I'd look for novel sentences he's created as opposed to repeating :)

I agree. It usually strikes me that they have said something that is not a repeated stock phrase, something of their own making, in an appropriate context.

jam's mum 03-24-2013 07:49 PM

Another question, a bit silly: does it have to be three words? For instance, she'll say "Jammy sleep. Mama sleep. Mama tired." Are those sentences? Or just 'putting words together' - like sometimes she'll just list stuff, like who's in the car, what she sees in the sky, etc: mama, Daddy, doggie; plane, bird, tree, cloud. I know it doesn't really matter, and she'll talk fluidly one day, but I don't know what to tell people when they ask whether she's talking!

jeebee 03-25-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jam's mum (Post 16431494)
Another question, a bit silly: does it have to be three words? For instance, she'll say "Jammy sleep. Mama sleep. Mama tired." Are those sentences? Or just 'putting words together' - like sometimes she'll just list stuff, like who's in the car, what she sees in the sky, etc: mama, Daddy, doggie; plane, bird, tree, cloud. I know it doesn't really matter, and she'll talk fluidly one day, but I don't know what to tell people when they ask whether she's talking!

IMO she's talking. She is putting two words together herself and not just copying something, she understands what she is saying.

I also go with what pps have said. When they are making a sentence themself. For eg, my 16 month old for a while has said things like 'I want some this/milk/juice/grapes'. But 'I want some' is really like one word/phrase for her that she always says together. So I would say she is starting to put two words together, but not that she is talking in 4 word sentences, LOL!

mrspopo 03-25-2013 08:22 AM

My 23m is just starting to do what I consider sentences lately. Before it was a lot of phrases that just seemed like memorized phrases appropriate for the situation. But more recently she'll think about words because she's trying to think of them. Just now she heard the dog whimpering and said "dog is (pause for thinking) out the window." Although out the window is still more of a memorized phrase so I'd only count that as maybe a 3 word sentence? I'm not sure what the technical rules are, but I haven't counted the phrases that just sound repeated.