Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vbac (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Am I a candidate for VBAC?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503092)

GerbersRN 03-24-2013 04:51 PM

Am I a candidate for VBAC??

Hello. I am currently not pregnant, but my husband and I are discussing having another and beginning to try. With my first child I had an extremely stressful time during my pregnancy working 60+ hours a week switching back and forth days and nights. I was diagnosed with GD, and required insulin. My water broke at 11 am on Monday, but it was only my head waters. Started having active labor at 11 pm that night and went into the hospital at 3 am dilated at 5.5 cm. they started me on pitocin as soon as I got my epidural at 8 30 and I was at 7- 71/2 at that time. I was fully dilated at noon and started pushing but she was in the OP position and the top of the scalp would come out, and then go back in after the contraction :( I pushed for five hours. My LO wasn't struggling yet, but the epidural wasnt sticking and after trying to vacuum her out and it failing I decided I wanted the C section. At 5 30 my LO was born at 8 lbs 11 oz. I am very much wanting to try a VBAC, my DH isn't very hot on the idea... But I just need some more opinions. Thank you!

ambivalent_amy 03-24-2013 04:56 PM

I had a successful VBAC after having a section for a poorly positioned baby. My doctor told me that my chances were very good since the main issue was the baby's position. I had dilated completely as well, which she said was a good indicator that I was a good candidate for VBAC.

GerbersRN 03-24-2013 05:01 PM

Re: Am I a candidate for VBAC??

That's good to hear! I'm also worried due to the GD. It's very genetic for me, though I have since improved my diet and now regularly exercise. I could stand to lose about 10 more pounds before becoming pregnant.

~Cricket~ 03-24-2013 05:23 PM

Sounds like you'd be a great candidate! All the best! :)

ChocoChoco 03-24-2013 08:39 PM

What is head waters?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

crunchymamaNY 03-24-2013 09:13 PM

every pregnancy is different. Your second may be totally uncomplicated. You are a good canidate for a vbac :)

GerbersRN 03-25-2013 09:18 PM

Head if waters is the part of the sac that is infront if the head when the baby is in position or engaged. This part can break and the head will then seal off the rest of the "water". It causes your "water" to break twice in a way, make sense?

Computermama 03-26-2013 10:14 AM

It sounds like baby was just poorly positioned. While that might happen again, there's no reason for you to not try for a vbac. Every pregnancy is different.

~Cricket~ 03-26-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerbersRN (Post 16430962)
My water broke at 11 am on Monday, but it was only my head waters. Started having active labor at 11 pm that night and went into the hospital at 3 am dilated at 5.5 cm. they started me on pitocin as soon as I got my epidural at 8 30 and I was at 7- 71/2 at that time. I was fully dilated at noon and started pushing but she was in the OP position and the top of the scalp would come out, and then go back in after the contraction :( I pushed for five hours. My LO wasn't struggling yet, but the epidural wasnt sticking and after trying to vacuum her out and it failing I decided I wanted the C section. At 5 30 my LO was born at 8 lbs 11 oz. I am very much wanting to try a VBAC, my DH isn't very hot on the idea... But I just need some more opinions. Thank you!

Out of curiousity - did they help you into any other positions while you pushed, or encourage you to take any new positions while you laboured? Moving around in labour and during pushing can help a poorly positioned baby move the right way around. And squatting during pushing can open up your pelvic bones about 25%! When a woman has an epidural, she's most often left to labour on her back, because moving her takes work, but that's not a helpful way to labour with a badly positioned baby. Also, it can be very hard for a first time mom to push effectively while she can't feel her body.
If you decide to try again (and I definitely would recommend it!) then read some good natural child-birth books and get in touch with ICAN for other VBAC resources. There is no reason why you can't birth your baby vaginally with the right information and support.

bethdrews 03-26-2013 11:19 AM

Absolutely a good candidate!!! I also recommend joining your local ICAN group. They will be able to point you to a good VBAC friendly provider. Also, a good Webster certified chiropractor can help get the baby in the optimal position, and hiring a doula to help with labor positions would be great!