Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tips for brushing a toddler's teeth (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503102)

chandni3 03-24-2013 05:30 PM

Tips for brushing a toddler's teeth

My daughter is 16 months. It's so hard to brush her teeth. She wants to hold the toothbrush herself and chew on it. I have to hold her hands and then try to get her teeth brushed a bit while she turns her head away and screams. I try giving her things to hold or distract her but she wants the toothbrush and she doesn't want mommy to touch it at all (I tried letting her hold it and I guide her). I do let her play with it after I'm done. I'm thinking of getting another toothbrush for her to use, though I can see just having to fight her to get it in her mouth while she sucks on the one. She is very independent and determined but she needs to have her teeth brushed. Any other ideas?

m0mof6 03-24-2013 05:39 PM

Both of you have a tooth brush and brush at the same time?

Brush your teeth and have her "check" it with a tooth brush then have her brush her teeth and you get to "check" her teeth with a tooth brush (ie brush her teeth ;) )

Use one of those finger brushes on your finger

DottieHarley 03-24-2013 05:39 PM

Yup, isn't it fun? Sigh. I actually did give DD a second toothbrush bc at least while she was chewing on it i had a shot at wedging another one in there, lol. They make dog toothbrushes that sort of have "side" heads so that one swipe gets inner outer and top, I have seriously thought about getting one!
As she got older I picked up a tip to make them participate - use animals living in their mouth. Aka "sugar monkeys" and you have to brush them out. I ask to check if abby cadaby did a good job (she's on the toothbrush(. Tonite Abby missed BIG BIRD lol :giggle:

iheartua07 03-24-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0mof6

Brush your teeth and have her "check" it with a tooth brush then have her brush her teeth and you get to "check" her teeth with a tooth brush (ie brush her teeth ;) )

I got one of the finger brushes and a toothbrush and gave my 15 month old the toothbrush to hold. It worked great until he bit my finger that was inside the finger brush :/. He likes the finger brush though so I switched it up. It's still a bit of a struggle though.

hilaryisinked 03-24-2013 05:49 PM

I use a trick I learned on here after I asked this 2 years ago. Lay them down with their arms spread out and their head between your legs. Put your legs on top of their arms to pin them down. Brush. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

jam's mum 03-24-2013 06:47 PM

Re: Tips for brushing a toddler's teeth

My daughter is 6 months older but I'm very proud of a new game we invented! We brush her sheep teeth (upper molars), her cow teeth (lower molars), her dog teeth (upper canines), her lion teeth (lower canines), her rabbit teeth (incisors). We switch up the animals sometimes - horse teeth, wolf teeth, snake teeth, bear teeth. She LOVES it, from having been very resistant to tooth-brushing. And it's like a little natural history lesson!

addicteddad 03-24-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0mof6 (Post 16431101)

We started with this, and DS is very good about letting us finish brushing his teeth now. We usually include plying in the sink, rinsing, etc when time allows.

Aubrey<3Gavin 03-24-2013 07:10 PM

I also have dd 16 mo and we used to have this problem. It isn't very creative, and it took a week or two of being consistent, but anytime she grabs for it I hold her hand down and say, "no! Mommy brush." Sometimes at the end I say, "okay, now Annabelle brush!" And let her have it for 30 seconds or so. I mostly skip that part now though.

serenas_song 03-24-2013 07:44 PM

I could have written this exact post! DD is also 16 months, and has been terrible about brushing her teeth lately. maybe I will try the finger toothbrush

wonton 03-24-2013 08:12 PM

haha and here i thought u were going to give some tips, should've known. lol