Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Normal Toddler behavior? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503126)

SamanthaSews 03-24-2013 06:51 PM

Normal Toddler behavior?

My 2 yo is terrified of fans. Any kind of fan. Ceiling fan, oscillating fan, Exhaust fan, vacuum. (The exhaust fan & vacuum is nothing new- I thought it was just the noise) but today it warmed up & we were cleaning so we turned on the fans & ds refused to go into any room where the fan was on. He was clinging to me & burying his face into my shoulder/neck. I hope this passes or else it's gonna be a hot sweaty summer!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

mibarra 03-24-2013 06:59 PM

DD2 is terrified of the vacuum, even from the other room.

SamanthaSews 03-24-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra
DD2 is terrified of the vacuum, even from the other room.

Yeah. I actually consider that normal. Ds will sit in another room & wait for me to finish, then he says "all done". And I usually say "not yet" lol!

EmilytheStrange 03-24-2013 10:11 PM

I think all irrational things like that count as normal 2yo behavior. I mean, this is the age when it's okay for them to fear being sucked down the bathtub drain.

Does it have strings he can pull and maybe get used to it. Or the oscillating ones like he could talk into and make funny sounds? Or throw balloons at them to see them get blown back?

misskira 03-24-2013 10:14 PM

Re: Normal Toddler behavior?

Our good friends have a son who is terrified of curtain rod finials. :giggle: he's a cautious guy in general, but this is his only "weird" fear. I think its normal for little ones to be afraid of random things that don't make sense to them. They covered the ones in his room with kitchen towels,but the rest in the house are uncovered.

TheCoach'sWife 03-24-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamanthaSews (Post 16431289)
My 2 yo is terrified of fans. Any kind of fan. Ceiling fan, oscillating fan, Exhaust fan, vacuum. (The exhaust fan & vacuum is nothing new- I thought it was just the noise) but today it warmed up & we were cleaning so we turned on the fans & ds refused to go into any room where the fan was on. He was clinging to me & burying his face into my shoulder/neck. I hope this passes or else it's gonna be a hot sweaty summer!

My 4 yo went thru that phase. To the point we couldn't go in a store that had ceiling fans.

And we aren't even Korean :/

Dory 03-24-2013 10:21 PM

I think it's normal. My one year old loves the vacuum, and tries to climb on top of or in the path of my carpet shampooer. :headscratch: THAT'S not normal lol

Britches~in~Stitches 03-24-2013 10:28 PM

Re: Normal Toddler behavior?

Lol, I think it's normal. My 2yo is scared of "honk honks" (fire/smoke detector). Ours went off once because the battery was low. It was interesting trying to get her down the hall to her room for a few weeks.

On the other hand, my 11mo think all loud things like the vacuum or coffee grinder are great, and belly laughs at them.

EmilytheStrange 03-24-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dory
I think it's normal. My one year old loves the vacuum, and tries to climb on top of or in the path of my carpet shampooer. :headscratch: THAT'S not normal lol

Oh man, my DD loves the vacuum and the steam mop.

And a friend posted a video on FB of her toddler riding on the vacuum while she was cleaning.

TheCoach'sWife 03-25-2013 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCoach'sWife (Post 16431943)

My 4 yo went thru that phase. To the point we couldn't go in a store that had ceiling fans.

And we aren't even Korean :/

I thought I maybe should explain myself... this could seem racist if you don't know what Korean fan death is. Anyways a whole generation of Koreans believe that of you sleep with the fan on you will die due to some unfortunate propaganda. I have several friends whose parents freak out if they sleep with the fan on, I always found it hilarious :)