Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   At what age? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503129)

sashaz122 03-24-2013 06:58 PM

At what age?

At what age was your child potty trained at (at least full daytime? My 28m old announces her poops after the fact but won't go otherwise... :(

CJsNatureMomma 03-24-2013 07:08 PM

Re: At what age?

It varies so much from child to child...My DD was 18 months when she was daytime potty trained and about 29 months when she stopped wearing a diaper or pull-ups at night. I have one niece who daytime potty trained at 24 months but still has to wear pull-ups at night and she's 9 years old. Another niece refused to have anything to do with the toilet until she was 4 and she just suddenly decided she was ready to go 24 hours. Every child is different. :) Hang in there, Mama!

LaurenAppenzeller 03-24-2013 07:28 PM

my son did that too, say I pooped right after he went. what we did with him was at about 20mos when we could tell he was about to go poop(he would disapear to go be alone) we would run to the bathroom and put him on the big toilet. then we worked on pee by just letting him go whenever we thought about it or would ask him and let him try but basically at 2 yrs old we decided to stop using diapers and it was spring when he turned 2 so he would spend a lot of time bottomless and pee outside that whole spring and summer. so by about 28 mos he had stopped having accidents during the day and at night. he would wake to pee if he had to go at night and occasionally would be too busy playing to make
himself go and have an accident but rarely. Also he was pretty regular with poops so we knew.he went wvwry morning abd then sometimes a second time but he was poopibg on the potty exclisively before his 2nd bday. If shes gives any clues or has a normal time of day she goes thats a good place to start. at least you know shes aware of it and can communicate that, but if we would have waited for my son to tell us it would have always been too late.

LaurenAppenzeller 03-24-2013 07:33 PM

I think now would be the perfect time to start since she has started telling you. we did have to clean up some pees doing it the way we did but we spent a lot of time outside and inside is all hardwood and tile. it was totally worth it tho bc it happened super quick.

Nerissa 03-25-2013 08:29 AM

I think it completely depends on your kid and your definition of potty trained. In my house potty trained means the child takes themselves or tells me when they need to go with very little help from me. Meaning I dont have to watch for clues that they need to potty and get them there for them not to have an accident. I do not want a kid peeing all over my floors and having tons of accidents that I have to clean up. Waste of my time and just frustraites me and them. Each one is sooo different

DS1 was almost 3.5 years before day trained. We started at age 2 (cause I listened to everyone that said he should be trained at age 2) it was a disaster w/lots of tears and accidents.

DS2 was 3 and it was super easy because we waited. He had desire/interest before that I won't force it.

sisu 03-25-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerissa (Post 16432679)
I think it completely depends on your kid and your definition of potty trained. In my house potty trained means the child takes themselves or tells me when they need to go with very little help from me. Meaning I dont have to watch for clues that they need to potty and get them there for them not to have an accident. I do not want a kid peeing all over my floors and having tons of accidents that I have to clean up. Waste of my time and just frustraites me and them. Each one is sooo different

These are my feelings, too.

My son PTed at 32 months, we went cold turkey into undies for daytime and after 2 days of that he decided he wasn't going to wear a diaper at night, either. It was done with very little effort on my part. :) I will say though, that the difference in readiness between 30 and 32 months was just HUGE. Things change fast at that age. :)

sashaz122 03-30-2013 08:42 PM

Thanks ladies. It's still very cold here (Canada) - I am thinking of going cold turkey around June/July when she will be 30m because at least she can walk around naked when its warm! And may be I can take a week off work or something. It's not too late is it? My dh is getting annoyed.
Daycare won't start them until transferred to the next group which will be in the summer also - I am hoping that means we can do it together

coffeemama 03-30-2013 08:47 PM

Completely day and night trained:
DS-3 yrs old
DD1-2 yrs old

coquelicot 03-30-2013 09:25 PM

DD was day-trained except for naps by 2 1/2 years old. As in, she could tell me that she had to go pee and then would do it. She'd wait for a naptime or bedtime diaper to poop for a few months but had stopped that by 33 months. Started waking up dry from naps about a month or two after that, then was completely trained even at night within a month or two after her 3rd birthday.

keen1981 03-30-2013 09:28 PM

24&26 months. Cold turkey. Even for bed. I just washed sheets a lot. Peein their beds woke them and they learned to stop.