Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   At what age.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503153)

Mara'sMommy 03-24-2013 08:28 PM

At what age..

Do you start a strict bedtime? My 6 month old has started waking up 30 minutes after bed time every night and staying awake for hours fighting me on sleep. We do the same routine every night and she previously was not doing this. I'm starting to get worried she's not going to fall in line with my toddler and I'll never get any "me" time!!

FindingMercy 03-24-2013 09:00 PM

Around 4ish months old I think.

ktmelody 03-24-2013 09:17 PM

We start at birth. 8:00 is bedtime here. I take baby up to my bed, nurse and fall asleep while I watch TV. (They don't sttn, but its a routine for us).

bluedaisyma 03-24-2013 09:30 PM

Ummm...I don't know. I guess when my kids were preschool age and no longer co-sleeping? We are night owls, so even if the baby falls asleep at 8, he'll be up partying from 9-11 or so. Bedtime for preschoolers through elementary or middle school was between 9-9:30. Now the high schoolers go to bed whenever. My 16 yr old does not sleep so he's up til 1 even on school nights.

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone

luvsviola 03-24-2013 09:49 PM

Re: At what age..

Some time around 9-12 months my kiddos have fallen into a bedtime around 8. I follow their lead. DD2 went to bed around 11 until she was about a year old.

kaydove 03-24-2013 09:57 PM

I was successful with the 2, 3, 4 idea. First nap is 2 hours after they wake up in the morning, second nap is 3 hours after they wake up from first nap, and bedtime is 4 hours after they wake up from second nap.
This works when they take two naps a day. DD dropped to one nap around 9-12 months. I don't remember when she went from three to two naps. When she took 3 naps, she would cat nap from 6-11pm and then go to bed at 11pm.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

EmilytheStrange 03-24-2013 09:59 PM

I started at birth. Which means that I would do her bath, jammies, etc at the same time every night. Of course, she didn't sleep through the night, she just went down for a nap and was up to feed two hours later :)

Personally, 6 seems really early - I can imagine that would be hard to go down that early unless they were getting at like 5am. But 6 might be what works best for you. Might need to try to adjust nap times so it's been awhile.

Also there is a 4 month sleep regression that extended to 6.5 months for my DD. she woke up a lot to play during that time. Another one at 9months that you might be just starting early.

MsGiggles 03-24-2013 10:03 PM

3-6 mos for a bedtime, IME.
What time is bedtime at? What times are naps during the day? If the 3rd nap is still emerging, you might need to skip that one.

jbug_4 03-25-2013 04:37 AM

Sometime in between 9 months and a year like luvsviola. And it was based on the them. DD went to bed at 8 until she started kindergarten, now its 7:30 cause she has to wake up at 6:30. DS goes to bed at 7:30 as well. They both woke up naturally until dd started school. DS still wakes up before 6:30, but I wake dd up at 6:30 now for school. Neither takes naps daily. Obviously my kids are early to bed early risers, that is by their choice all though i do like having prime time to me and dh.

My niece is a 10 to bed and 8 to wake up, I am assuming that will change when she starts school.

DottieHarley 03-25-2013 05:06 AM

[QUOTE="EmilytheStrange"] I started at birth. Which means that I would do her bath, jammies, etc at the same time every night. Of course, she didn't sleep through the night, she just went down for a nap and was up to feed two hours later :)
[\QUOTE]

:yeahthat:
We started around two weeks. By the time I went back to work at 10 wks a routine 6-7 pm bedtime but we are an early rising family. For a while she was falling asleep at like 5 but bedtime has been 6-7 pm for two years now. "Strict" is relative - we are usually bathed and jammies on around 7, so reading/prayers/snuggling/endless sips of water til 730. But the actual time can vary by 30 mins either way, i take her lead on how tired she is.
I would think about your latest nap and try to reduce/move it forward.