Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   OMG the sassiness! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503154)

corinne76 03-24-2013 08:28 PM

OMG the sassiness!

DD is out of hand today!
Her brother made her mad and she proceeded to go on and on about how she's NEVER going to play with him EVER again and that she doesn't love him.
I was in the midst of telling her that I don't like hearing that, when she tells me "can you hurry up with your words?" Apparently I was keeping her from playing Barbies. :banghead:
She was playing in her room for awhile, and comes out and asks if she can watch Cars outside with us. this is after yelling from her room that she is noever going to come out while a "boy" movie is on and that she never wants to watch her brother's movies.
I told her I never said she couldnt' come out, and she starts saying "let me guess...you're still mad" It was not a question. It was a statement dripping with sass.
So I ignored her. She kept on until I finally told her yes I am mad. She ran away crying.
Part of me wants to go comfort her, and the other part wants her to cry, she needs to know her attitiude is not going to fly. Spring break just started. I have her all day for 2 weeks. wish me luck mamas......

EmsMom 03-24-2013 09:29 PM

Re: OMG the sassiness!

Girls are sassy monsters and it starts at 6yrs :) I once made the mistake of asking dd to take her clean laundry upstairs and she replied " I'm not the one who brought it down". Very likely in the same tone as your dd. I wonder how I'll survive the teenage years, most days I feel like she's 13 and she's only nearly 8.

SaraElise 03-25-2013 05:57 AM

You just described my 5.5 year old boy, so I think it's the age!

I've let him cry in his room if he doesn't like the words I am saying (usually telling him it's not okay to treat others the way he is, or to say he hates his brother). I give him a big hug when he comes out and we talk about his words. It's getting better, but I think 5 year olds just have that independent "I do what I want" sort of attitude!

The "can you hurry up with your words?" comment would get him sent straight to a time out, since we don't speak to each other that way. (I'm sure you don't tolerate that either, just saying usually having consequences for our words right away helps nip it in the bud a bit)

Happy Mommax4 03-25-2013 06:12 AM

Oh boy....I've gotta soon to be 6yo DD and :cringe: a soon to be 14yo DD :hide: my already questionable sanity is teetering on the brink!

Anyway you handled it great, I've found that the less bantering/engaging the worse, so you did a good job mamma-ill be thinking of you.

corinne76 03-25-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraElise
You just described my 5.5 year old boy, so I think it's the age!

I've let him cry in his room if he doesn't like the words I am saying (usually telling him it's not okay to treat others the way he is, or to say he hates his brother). I give him a big hug when he comes out and we talk about his words. It's getting better, but I think 5 year olds just have that independent "I do what I want" sort of attitude!

The "can you hurry up with your words?" comment would get him sent straight to a time out, since we don't speak to each other that way. (I'm sure you don't tolerate that either, just saying usually having consequences for our words right away helps nip it in the bud a bit)

Definitely an age thing!
And oh yes, she went to time out!

cdeweese 03-25-2013 12:16 PM

My 3 year old (on Wed) DD is already running to her room and dramatically shouting, "I gonna be gone forever!!!" And telling us that we need to "obey the first time or Mommy/Daddy is gonna put you in time-out". I know it will only get more difficult as her vocabulary increases haha! Hugs Mama!

Tris 03-25-2013 12:25 PM

I don't think you need to comfort her, but ignoring her and then telling her you're still mad isn't really that good of an example or the best communication. My 5 year old definitely has that sass, but the more we talk about whats ok and whats not the better it has been. And we have those talks a couple minutes after the infraction, discuss tone and how things could be said better, and whats appropriate to say to another person. Then we hug, do the appropriate apologies if necessary, and move on with the day.

Last night for example, I was asking my H to get me a water since I was already in bed (he gets me water every night <3 so spoiled) and Z goes, "well do you have legs mama?" :giggle2: I laughed because she got me, and then explained that I do have legs and I should get it for myself but Daddy likes to help sometimes, just like I help her sometimes.

Tris 03-25-2013 12:25 PM

Dp

melfinn 03-25-2013 02:32 PM

I would talk about it with her when she is acting more rational. Sometimes in the heat of the moment it is hard to separate emotion and what we try to teach our children. I do believe at time childrens just aren't in the mindset to understand and be cooperative. But that doesn't mean you can't revisit the problem. I just TRY, and I put that in CAPS LOCK bc it is trying at times, to stay in the positive when I talk to my DS. He is more likely to respond better or more positive when I do the same with him. I know it is hard to turn a negative mind to the positive but it is worth trying. Like my DS is convinced we are going out today but we are not. So every once in a while he goes through the drama of wanting to go to Library or bouncy today when he knows we are going tomorrow. It is hard to go through it over and over. But I don't feel well and we have been out all weeks so he can wait one day to go out!! I feel bad like I am holding him back but sometime I just need to stay in. (agoraphobic, another story and one that I am doing wonderfully to change) I have been so much better at getting him out but he needs to understand it is not at his every whim that we go. So I too deal with a not sassy but defiant 3 yr old!! I just try to keep him busy and distract but as he is getting older it is harder. I wish you luck and love for your family through spring break and hope things get better with your DD.