Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Mini Minimalist Challenge: 3/25-3/29 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503274)

wordbox 03-25-2013 10:44 AM

Mini Minimalist Challenge: 3/25-3/29

The Mini Minimalist Challenge runs each week from Monday-Friday. Weekends can be used as catch up days, and would be a great time to drop off donations. Before & After pictures (or any other progress photos) are encouraged!

I will post the entire 5 days all at once, in case you would like to plan ahead or work out of order. Keep in mind that not all challenges will be relevant for every person or every home. If you find a challenge that does not need to be done, or is in an area of your home that you do not have, either consider it a day off or focus on an area that you really do need to work on.

If you're feeling extra motivated, this is also a good time to wipe down surfaces or vacuum areas that don't usually get much attention. You can consolidate items, eliminate packaging, or reorganize while working on the challenge in that area... but it's okay if you don't!

The goal will be to purge 5 things from each area. You may find more and you may find less, but you want to aim for at least 5 whenever possible. If you stick to just the minimum, you will purge 25 things from your home every week! Comment with your progress and to encourage others, and share with us your successes and struggles.

If you are new, feel free to jump right in where you are! Don't feel like you need to backtrack or catch up to us.

Week #13

Monday 3.25.13: Purge 5 "junk drawer" items. If you don't have a junk drawer, focus on the miscellaneous clutter that you can find just walking around the house (stuff that doesn't have a home, stuff cluttering up countertops or shelves or other flat surfaces).

Tuesday 3.26.13: Purge 5 items from your kitchen drawers.

Wednesday 3.27.13: Purge 5 toys (or other kid items, such as books, craft items, etc.).

Thursday 3.28.13: Purge 5 items from media and games. DVDs, CDs, VHS tapes, video games, board games, card games, etc. If something has been outgrown or is unloved or is missing pieces, pass it along or toss it. This is a good time to reorganize what you're keeping, too.

Friday 3.29.13: Your choice! Purge 5 items from a problem area. Focus on an area that you've been procrastinating on, that you pretend doesn't exist, that has gotten out of control, or that feels like it is too big for you to tackle because it overwhelms you. We can do it.

BONUS TASK #1: Tackle a pile of stuff in your home. Put it away or get rid of it. Find the items a permanent home.

BONUS TASK #2: Wash some of the stuff that gets forgotten about in our day to day laundry (dog bedding, small rugs that are washable, aprons, etc.).

BONUS TASK #3: Carve out some time for yourself this week. Have coffee with a friend, work on a craft project, read a book in the bathtub, go get a pedicure in preparation for sandal season. Do something special for yourself that you don't normally do on a daily or weekly basis.

wordbox 03-25-2013 10:47 AM

Re: Mini Minimalist Challenge: 3/25-3/29

Sorry to post late! Our niece came over last night because she needed help with something, so everything got pushed back a bit and I had very little free time before I had to get to bed.

loganzmama 03-25-2013 11:10 AM

These are all awesome ideas!! I needed to do all these area's. Does shredding papers count for Mon? Lol

slimy72 03-25-2013 11:27 AM

Junk drawer! Yup it needs it. I'm suppose to get up and around 4-5 times a day now (for short trips around the house) so on my next time up, I'll go see what I can get done on it. One of these weeks we need to have a freezer declutter0 except the challenge would be to use up 5 random foods cluttering up the freezer. I need that one badly.

ArronDalesMama 03-25-2013 06:21 PM

Don't have a junk drawer so I pick up clutter. Aka laundry that was all around the house.

My husband even picked up the living room for me. He must want some.

loganzmama 03-25-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama (Post 16434974)
Don't have a junk drawer so I pick up clutter. Aka laundry that was all around the house.

My SO might get more if he did stuff like that instead if leaving his stuff EVERYWHERE but where it goes. LOL

TheCoach'sWife 03-25-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArronDalesMama (Post 16434974)

Mine ONLY cleans if he wants some. Or if he is uber pissed.

So instead of doing a junk drawer purge, I went over to the drawer that has been sitting in the dining room corner for over a week and picked out like 3 things and took the whole rest of the drawer and tossed it. Problem solved :) I don't have to organize the junk drawer if it simply doesn't exist.

slimy72 03-25-2013 08:51 PM

HAHA! I love your method!! I cleaned my junk cupboard. It is our old microwave stand (except our microwave is now installed above the stove). And it houses a lot of junk. I went through the two shelves, the drawer and the stack of papers. I did really well. When I was all done though my poor mom looked lost. She tried to get me my pain pills and couldn't find them. And then was looking for a pen and couldn't find one. guess stuff is never where it belongs since she had no clue where I put everything. That pretty much took up all of my energy for the day though. I'm hurting pretty bad now, I may have over done it a little. We'll see how tomorrow goes. But it is nice to have something to do, even if it's small. It's getting hard to lay here all day at this point. This is day 4 down and I'm starting to get bored.

melanalyus 03-26-2013 04:45 AM

Me Me Me. I am in this time. :)

smplmama 03-26-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCoach'sWife (Post 16435322)
Mine ONLY cleans if he wants some. Or if he is uber pissed.

So instead of doing a junk drawer purge, I went over to the drawer that has been sitting in the dining room corner for over a week and picked out like 3 things and took the whole rest of the drawer and tossed it. Problem solved :) I don't have to organize the junk drawer if it simply doesn't exist.

That's the best way! Give er! :giggle2: