Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   I hear this a lot, and don't "get it"..... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503670)

escapethevillage 03-26-2013 02:07 PM

I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Especially today..

"Homosexuality has been witnessed and observed throughout the animal world "

How does that have anything to do with humans? How is that a good argument? Animals eat poop too. They eat their babies sometimes.

Explain this argument to me.

I am all for Gay marriage and equality. I am just finding "animals do it" as a poor argument.

mommy2kaitlyn 03-26-2013 02:09 PM

Re: I hear this a lot, and don't "get it".....

Well I think it is because some say it is not possible. Some think that it is a choice. Animals do things on instinct not choice. I am stretching and just guessing.

carriek38 03-26-2013 02:12 PM

It's generally in response to the idea that homosexuality is "unnatural", aberrant from what is seen in other species, and somehow a particular deviance of humans, one that should not be fostered or accommodated.

escapethevillage 03-26-2013 02:14 PM

Yes.. I assumed that, but how many times do we see animals doing things we would never do, and we don't take that as "Well, then good enough for me". I don't like being told that because a female dog humps another female dog, that it must be acceptable for humans too...

Heck, my female lab is inappropriate with a giant stuffed Duck.

Again, am an FOR Gay marriage, just not based on what an animal would do.

I guess I just don't care for the comparison.

Icryinbaseball 03-26-2013 02:20 PM

I wish some people would eat their young :headscratch:. I AM KIDDING FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THE DAYS IN THE WEEK I AM KIDDING. Seriously though I dont get that argument either.

Mama*Kim 03-26-2013 02:22 PM

I hear it in response to the "its not natural" argument. The point is just that it is natural. Animals don't just suddenly decide to be homosexual and neither do humans (or any sexuality for that matter).

jam's mum 03-26-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escapethevillage (Post 16437738)
Yes.. I assumed that, but how many times do we see animals doing things we would never do, and we don't take that as "Well, then good enough for me". I don't like being told that because a female dog humps another female dog, that it must be acceptable for humans too...

Heck, my female lab is inappropriate with a giant stuffed Duck.

Again, am an FOR Gay marriage, just not based on what an animal would do.

I guess I just don't care for the comparison.

I think maybe you're not the target audience for the point. The fact that homosexuality is common in nature is an argument against opinions that

a) homosexuality is unnatural
b) homosexuality "goes against God's plan"
c) homosexuality is a choice
d) homosexuality is a product of a degenerate culture or society

It's not a glorification of the way of the wolf, it's simply a counter-fact to correct various homophobic assumptions. If you don't share those assumptions, then you don't need to hear it :)

Kiliki 03-26-2013 02:33 PM

But if my male dog humps another male dog, does that actually mean my dog is homosexual? Or does it mean he's just a dog looking to hump something to satisfy his urges? I'm going to bet the latter, since I am 100% sure he'll still get it on with a female dog if given the opportunity.... Heck, he'd hump a giant stuffed animal...

OP, I don't think the argument holds any water, either.

Mom23kids 03-26-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama*Kim (Post 16437769)
I hear it in response to the "its not natural" argument. The point is just that it is natural. Animals don't just suddenly decide to be homosexual and neither do humans (or any sexuality for that matter).

:yeahthat: I don't think homosexuality is a choice. I think it is a natural variation in our species, just like it is in other species. There are some species where a pair is same-sex and monogamous. Just because a dog will hump anything that moves (or doesn't) does not mean it's homosexual. It just feels good for the dog. But, like I said, they have found homosexual pairs in nature and they prefer relations with their same sex.

PBAki 03-26-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom23kids (Post 16437815)
I think it is a natural variation in our species, just like it is in other species.

Pretty much this.

Nature is just part of the universe & has a way of balancing itself. Otherwise we'd be in denial saying out of all the tendencies, personalities, choices and decisions we make is normal except someone being homosexual.

Just like how autism or certain 'disability' may be considered abnormal I just see it as a human's natural response to whatever biological, chemical, social or other variables to ultimately shift and shape the person that they are.