Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need Advice from others who had a Stroke or TIA (not sure where to post this?) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1503957)

Super Mom Of 6 Girls 03-27-2013 02:36 PM

Need Advice from others who had a Stroke or TIA (not sure where to post this?)

I am a 32 year old mother of 6. On March 17, 2013 I had a mini stroke or TIA. I have no lasting effects from it. While in the hospital they also found that I have a hole in my heart, that was most likely there since birth. They really didn't pinpoint an exact reason why I had the stroke. I was on birth control, Safryal, for a month back in mid december to beginning of January because my menstrual cycle was out of wack. My family dr doesn't seem to think that is what caused it. She thinks it was purely bad luck, she said a clot may of formed in my heart and it slipped through the hole and up to my brain.

So my question is are there any other stroke or TIA survivors out there in diaper swapper land who have had children AFTER their stroke/TIA? I know we already have 6 but my husband and I had always planned on 8. So far all the dr's I met with have it should not be an issue, especially since all my pregnancies have been perfectly normal with no problems. I am on daily aspirin now for the rest of my life and my family DR said in essence my next pregnancy would be safer than my previous because of being on the aspirin.

I have no idea where to turn about this.........it is one thing for dr's to tell you it is ok but I really want to meet others who have been in my shoes and who better understand this whole thing.

mekat 03-27-2013 03:58 PM

Re: Need Advice from others who had a Stroke or TIA (not sure where to post this?)

I'm sorry, no I can't relate. My 8yo son has an ASD and since it is small
(1 mm) and not stressing his heart it is less risky to leave it alone. The bad news is it does raise his risk of having a stroke as he gets older. This has been explained to me by two different cardiologists. While I can't help you with the whole BTDT experience maybe it will at least be helpful to know there are others walking around with increased stroke risks due to holes in their hearts.

Super Mom Of 6 Girls 03-28-2013 06:17 AM

Re: Need Advice from others who had a Stroke or TIA (not sure where to post this?)

Thanks so much for your response mama! It is nice to know I am not the only one out there!

Belle1002 03-28-2013 06:41 AM

No personal experience, but I'm a physical therapist who has worked with numerous patients who have survived strokes shortly after giving birth. I can recall at least three women who chose to have additional children without major complications. Just be aware that symptoms which have resolved may temporarily resurface when the body is stressed (we often see this with surgeries), but it really is temporary.

Super Mom Of 6 Girls 03-28-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belle1002 (Post 16443420)
No personal experience, but I'm a physical therapist who has worked with numerous patients who have survived strokes shortly after giving birth. I can recall at least three women who chose to have additional children without major complications. Just be aware that symptoms which have resolved may temporarily resurface when the body is stressed (we often see this with surgeries), but it really is temporary.

That really makes me feel better. I just am not ready to be done and was really hoping my body is not trying to tell me I am done.

On a side note I see you are in York, I am from Columbia originally. Well DH and I both were born and raised in Columbia. Both of our entire families still live there. Small world!!

Greenbabybottoms 03-28-2013 09:26 PM

Not me but my husband had a massive stroke at 17 years old. The initial cause was a liver enzyme imbalance but we learned that he also also had the hole in his heart. It was explained to us that it closes on ostpeopke by the end of infancy but for some it never does.