Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Would you consider renting... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504008)

elizabeth.scalf 03-27-2013 06:50 PM

Would you consider renting...

An apartment in the next town over so that you could use it as your home address and go to public school in that town? If the next town over had an incredibly good school system, but the taxes and real estate were so expensive that you couldn't afford to buy there?

Hungry Caterpillar 03-27-2013 06:56 PM

Re: Would you consider renting...

Do you mean rent the apartment and actually live in it, or rent it just for the address? The OP is confusing me, lol.

I put a premium on education.

MommyLyssa 03-27-2013 06:57 PM

Wow, that is a really interesting question. I can't ever see us doing that, but we don't fit the bill (homeschool and live rather frugally)

ktmelody 03-27-2013 06:59 PM

No, but we have zone variances here.

I do know that there was a rash of people doing this and their schools found out and took them to court etc. so I would be very careful abut doing it.

KaleidoscopeEyes 03-27-2013 07:01 PM

I'd probably make friends with someone in that school district and use their address

elizabeth.scalf 03-27-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar (Post 16442306)
Do you mean rent the apartment and actually live in it, or rent it just for the address? The OP is confusing me, lol.

I put a premium on education.

Rent it just for the address, a cheap apartment. But live in the house you wanted, outside the school zone.

elizabeth.scalf 03-27-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody (Post 16442320)
No, but we have zone variances here.

I do know that there was a rash of people doing this and their schools found out and took them to court etc. so I would be very careful abut doing it.

Can you explain zone variances? :-)

I've never heard of schools taking people to court, it seems like if you had the address and paid taxes, you'd be able to go to the schools, right? Funny.

Dh was considering this, and I'm not so sure, it feels fishy. Even if there aren't anything legally wrong with it (and now it sounds like there may be).

nursenmom 03-27-2013 07:06 PM

Some schools allow for a transfer request - I'm assuming it's not an option and you've probably already looked into this . . .

BeccaSueCongdon 03-27-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf
An apartment in the next town over so that you could use it as your home address and go to public school in that town? If the next town over had an incredibly good school system, but the taxes and real estate were so expensive that you couldn't afford to buy there?

In a heartbeat.

My kids are only 5 & 2, and we have a good inexpensive private option for preschool. But when it's time for kindergarten/1st grade, we'll be moving to a different part of town bc the school in our neighborhood is seriously underperforming and we have a huge gang problem.

ktmelody 03-27-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf
Can you explain zone variances? :-)

I've never heard of schools taking people to court, it seems like if you had the address and paid taxes, you'd be able to go to the schools, right? Funny.

Dh was considering this, and I'm not so sure, it feels fishy. Even if there aren't anything legally wrong with it (and now it sounds like there may be).

Our district allows parents to speak with their principal and get a zone variance to another school in which the other principle has approved.

And if you do not live in the home it isnt your residence. They take them to court because schools lose federal and state funding that is alotted for that student at a specific school.

Will get a link to the story I first read about it in.