Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Would you think it was weird (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504117)

jbug_4 03-28-2013 07:12 AM

Would you think it was weird

to have a party 2 months before the b-day? I just had the thread complaining about summer b-days, but I was thinking if people do half b-day parties, why can't I just have her school friend b-day party in May before school lets out? Is that to weird?

B-days are usually just grandparents, cake and presents. I usually make an elaborate cake but other then that its really no that much of a party. We don't do anything super special sometimes we take her to dinner that kind of stuff. So it wouldn't be like we having 2 actual parties. We would do a real party for the school friends (with the elaborate cake), favors, balloons all the good stuff that we never really do. Then a run of the mill cake with the grandparents on her actual b-day. i would say we could just have a b-day dinner with the grandparents but they expect cake. There is a good possibility that we may be moving 30 miles away before her b-day anyway. So even if we kept in touch and planned a b-day for her school friends its would have to be at a location and dd wants them to come over to our house (still might take it somewhere else, just don't know exactly where).

What do you think? Is it weird?

Pixi6s 03-28-2013 07:21 AM

Re: Would you think it was weird

A party is a party :) who cares especially if your child doesn't. my son and soon to be are around christmas. As we start thinking about parties with more than just family I will probably start considering this too. I think early makes more since than late.

Mom2Connor 03-28-2013 07:27 AM

No, most people won't even know it's not her real b-day and even if they asked, your explanation would make sense.

Nerissa 03-28-2013 07:29 AM

I dont' think it is weird at all. DH's family lives 6 hours away. One DS b-day is in Feb. and one in May and we have a nephew in May. We usually try to get together and celebrate all three birthdays in the spring sometime.

Tris 03-28-2013 07:42 AM

I think the gift getting aspect is weird and kinda tacky, but I don't see a problem in just throwing a party during the school year.

jbug_4 03-28-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tris (Post 16443584)
I think the gift getting aspect is weird and kinda tacky, but I don't see a problem in just throwing a party during the school year.

That was my worry that it would seem like we were trying get more gifts this way. but most people separate school parties from family parties anyway. We have always request no presents but it never works so we gave up on that.

EmilytheStrange 03-28-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor (Post 16443535)
No, most people won't even know it's not her real b-day and even if they asked, your explanation would make sense.

agreed.

and about the gift giving.. I wouldn't worry.. unless you haven't been attending all the friends' birthday parties all year long. Then, it's sorta weird.

I just attended a birthday party that was about 1-2 months early. They're leaving in April (military) and the birthday is sometime in May. They wanted to help their kiddo celebrate with friends. Didn't bother me.

mrspopo 03-28-2013 06:24 PM

I was thinking about doing DD's 2nd birthday a month early since it's really close to my due date, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

As a summer birthday kid, I planned our kids to not be summer babies. HATED it growing up. All year long getting to sing happy birthday for everyone else but never getting anything special at school for me. On year they did line up 30 or so summer kids and had everyone sing at lunch and we got the orange icecream cup things I hate... not a special day at all. And one year I did try bringing in cupcakes and things a month early so we could celebrate at school, but several kids commented that it wasn't really my birthday so it didn't count. My feelings were quite hurt. My actual parties were usually pretty dull too since most people were out of town. So my vote is for doing something that makes your DD feel special.

umphreysmommy 03-28-2013 07:11 PM

I do think it is a little weird. Personally if your daughter wants a party with friends from school I would throw an end of year party. I wouldn't sing happy birthday to my child 2 months before their birthday but that is just me.

sojomisa 03-28-2013 07:34 PM

I don't think it's weird. And I don't have a problem with gift giving, and certainly don't find it tacky at all. People are celebrating your child's birthday, gifts are given at birthday celebrations. No big deal.

Now that I think about it we don't have parties for any of mine right at their birthdays. Life doesn't work that easily. DD1 is right near fathers day, yearly family reunion, grandmother, and her fathers birthdays. We've had May, and July parties for her. DS1 is March right at soccer time and gymnastics competitions. He's friend party is April 6th this year and was in February last year. DD2 is smack between Thanksgiving and Christmas, try finding a weekend there that works around holiday festivities and gymnastics. HA. Actually, her party was on her birthday this year, during the week at pump it up. Everyone loved it and didn't care that it was during the week. DS2 is 2 weeks after Christmas, and still in the midst on gymnastic competitions. We've not done a big party for him yet.

Whatever works.