Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help me talk myself through this (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504428)

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 03-29-2013 11:47 AM

My ds just started an adhd medication last week. He has been randomly saying that his chest feels funny. When I described different feelings, he said it felt like some one was squeezing his heart and sitting on his chest.
Red flags there of course. Dr says the meds should not cause this and to take him to the ER next time.
BUT.... He has anxiety and he is nervous about being on the meds. He is hyper sensitive to his body, and sometimes blows things out of proportion.
My momma gut says to ignore it, and to take him of the meds for the weekend as the dr suggested.
But I hate to think if it really is something and I just ignore it.

JamieJLD 03-29-2013 12:02 PM

Re: Help me talk myself through this

I'd probably go to the ER and have them check him out. My DD isn't on meds, but because of her lack of body awareness and high pain tolerance I can't really rely on her to tell me accurately how she feels (she has ASD). I've taken her into the ER for x-rays because she jumped on her foot funny and I was scared it was broken. I figured it probably wasn't, but I didn't think that she could tell me if it was hurting. So I decided that for me paying for the ER visit would be worth it for the peace of mind.

I don't think it would be wrong for you to just listen to your instinct and keep an eye on him. Probably he is having a lot of anxiety which can cause those feelings of tightness in the chest. But an ER visit would be an easy way to make sure nothing else is going on. :hugs:

ETA: I wonder if the ER doc would be able to reassure him that the meds are acting as intended and that his heart looks okay. Maybe that would help calm his anxiety too.

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 03-29-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamieJLD
I'd probably go to the ER and have them check him out. My DD isn't on meds, but because of her lack of body awareness and high pain tolerance I can't really rely on her to tell me accurately how she feels (she has ASD). I've taken her into the ER for x-rays because she jumped on her foot funny and I was scared it was broken. I figured it probably wasn't, but I didn't think that she could tell me if it was hurting. So I decided that for me paying for the ER visit would be worth it for the peace of mind.

I don't think it would be wrong for you to just listen to your instinct and keep an eye on him. Probably he is having a lot of anxiety which can cause those feelings of tightness in the chest. But an ER visit would be an easy way to make sure nothing else is going on. :hugs:

Thank you for your imput. He is asd as well, but is just the opposite. A paper cut seems like his arm was chopped off to him. So it is hard to gauge things sometimes.

JamieJLD 03-29-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 (Post 16448130)
Thank you for your imput. He is asd as well, but is just the opposite. A paper cut seems like his arm was chopped off to him. So it is hard to gauge things sometimes.

Two sides of the same coin! :giggle: It sure does make it hard to figure out what is actually going on physically, doesn't it?

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 03-29-2013 12:08 PM

Your telling me!

UVASahm 03-29-2013 12:24 PM

I would absolutely take him the next time it happens. It could be the beginnings of an anxiety attack which would be really scary for a kid like that. They are medically preventable as well. My husbands entire family has severe anxiety and it can be really scary.

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 03-29-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASahm
I would absolutely take him the next time it happens. It could be the beginnings of an anxiety attack which would be really scary for a kid like that. They are medically preventable as well. My husbands entire family has severe anxiety and it can be really scary.

See that is exactly how I feel with my anxiety attacks. I was so scared with my first, I thought I was having a heart attack. He has meds for anxiety that he takes every day. But he is extra nervous right now. Can't say I blame him. He has been off adhd meds for three years because he had a seizure with the last one.

Eta: before anyone flames me for putting him back on the meds( a different med), he begged to be put back on them. I have discussed with the dr at length several times the benefits and cons before deciding to try again

ktmelody 03-29-2013 12:41 PM

Is it a stimulant add med? Did they do an EKG prior to starting the meds?

I would stop the meds and demand an EKG if its a stimulant med. here they do an EKG every 3 months while on them and prior to starting any new meds.

Eta: I took Ritalin as a child for many years (15) and they seriously messed up my heart. I wish they had known then what damage they can do to someone with underlying heart issues. At least now they test here (heart and blood) prior to starting.

drunkenmonkeysmommy1 03-29-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody
Is it a stimulant add med? Did they do an EKG prior to starting the meds?

I would stop the meds and demand an EKG if its a stimulant med. here they do an EKG every 3 months while on them and prior to starting any new meds.

They did not do am eeg. His last one was a year ago, but he was not on any meds at the time.

ktmelody 03-29-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1

They did not do am eeg. His last one was a year ago, but he was not on any meds at the time.

An EEG is a brain test. An EKG is a heart pace. Maybe just a typing error. Lol