Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   how do you pack a house? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504629)

neonalee 03-30-2013 11:15 AM

how do you pack a house?

I've moved enough times to realize I suck at it. Please help!

I understand the basics. Pack what you aren't using first. Try to keep it organized, rooms together etc. What I don't get is how to do both. Let's say I have 10 cups. We could get by with 4 for our family for a few weeks or whatever. Do I pack the other 6 ahead of time? Then in the end won't I have cups in 2 boxes? I really really don't want to go buy disposable stuff. This is just an example. How do I do this?

How do I meal plan?!

I plan to put 2 weeks of clothes in a suitcase & pack everything else, so no trouble there. I know about color coding & writing down what is in each box (not that I've ever been organized enough to do so). Any other tips?

Cherise1502 03-30-2013 11:30 AM

Re: how do you pack a house?

Last time we moved I numbered the boxes/totes and then made a file card box with index cards that lists exactly what is in each box so when unpacking/looking for something I only have to look through the cards to tell where it needs to go

slimy72 03-30-2013 11:46 AM

We just use paper plates, cups and plastic silver ware for 2 weeks. The silverware and plastic cups we washed until they broke. And then when we left we threw it all away. It was just easier than leaving 4 sets out to pack at the tale end. But in fairness. The kitchen is the last room I pack.

abunchoflemons 03-30-2013 11:50 AM

When we packed I got dishes but not away closed so j could put things in it still. The index of things signs good.

newmom98118 03-30-2013 12:19 PM

We just moved across the country. I assigned each room of the house about 5 days to do. Sorted, packed and organized each room. I absolutely forced myself to stay in one room until it was completely empty. The kitchen was last. Totally worked for me.

TypeAMom 03-30-2013 01:22 PM

If you're friends with Paul Bunyan and the Green Giant, call them for help on moving day. Hopefully they can stop at a big-box store on the way and get a large enough piece o' corrugated. Sorry, couldn't resist. I think this is a cry for help...I spend way too much time w/ a preschooler and am in need of adult conversation.

SarasynFox 03-30-2013 05:30 PM

This may not be the best way to do it, but I've frequently waited until move day to pck my dishes. Alternatively, I've also left the box I pack my dishes and cups in open so I just have to wrap and tuck the stuff left out into the box. It means they can all stay together and I can still pack most of it ahead of time.

We're gearing up to move, so I'm totally going to follow this and see what tips are suggested! Our moves have been chaotic in the past, so we're always open for good suggestions!

neonalee 03-30-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeAMom (Post 16451286)
If you're friends with Paul Bunyan and the Green Giant, call them for help on moving day. Hopefully they can stop at a big-box store on the way and get a large enough piece o' corrugated. Sorry, couldn't resist. I think this is a cry for help...I spend way too much time w/ a preschooler and am in need of adult conversation.

Lol very good "outside the box"thinking hehehe

Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, but thanks for the help guys! My mom arrives Monday to help us out. I think this weekend I'll separate DSs stuff into using, selling, pack and ask her to start there. After that I have no idea.

leadmare 03-31-2013 08:57 AM

What do you mean you posted in the wrong forum? No, it was fate that we should find this thread. :)

I like the idea of indexing boxes. I've labeled them in the past, but then I still have to look at each box. A few things I'm doing for our next move are: minimizing as much as possible. This may not work for everyone, but for the ladies on this forum, it's very appropriate. I'm also trying to do as much in advance as I can. We aren't moving for a year, but I'm already going through my "sell" pile. From all my purging i had nice pile of things that would be worth it to sell. (I donate most things). Holy cow, selling is a ton of work! I'm so glad I'm doing this now and not immediately before the move.

Also, we're thinking a lot more critically about whether or not it is worth it to move an item. What does it cost to move it? To replace? What would be get from selling it? Would we even replace it if we purged it? Everything is up for discussion; from our second car, to the TV, to clothes and kitchen stuff.

Finally, I've made a list of things don't want to bring, but that I do want to do something with before moving. For example, I have a shelf of paper books I want to read (except for these, we're all digital). I've decided I don't want to move the books, and it gives me motivation and a deadline for reading them. Also, I have some fabric I don't want to move, so I've got to sew it up!

Sounds like the OP is moving soon, but I hope some of this helps.

neonalee 03-31-2013 09:52 AM

Ooh I wish I had done all that before moving cross county! But yes we are moving again (unexpectedly) soon. Only a few miles but still a pain! In the last couple months I've sold enough to buy my refurbished vitamix, yay! And donated tons. Also found out my sis is pregnant (and also moving) do putting aside stuff to send her after she moves. And of course the consignment sale I've been preparing for is 2 weeks after move!

We have 2 weeks to go. Lots of stuff is gone but packing hasn't started so I think this is not going to go well. Can't wait till mom gets here tomorrow!