Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gluten/Diary Free Recipe Thread...Should We Start One? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504660)

Mummandherboys 03-30-2013 03:51 PM

Gluten/Diary Free Recipe Thread...Should We Start One?

Hello Everyone!

Would anyone like to join me in starting a specific thread for gluten/diary free/etc. recipes/food site ideas/questions and more? I am new to GF and DF and would love your tried-and-true family favorite recipes and snacks. I am hoping to switch over our whole family as much as possible to make things easier all around.
I will share any favorite recipes that I try as well as any other blogs/sites that I come across!

I hope this will be helpful for many others too! :goodvibes:

Newton 03-30-2013 06:33 PM

Re: Gluten/Diary Free Recipe Thread...Should We Start One?

I have been cooking gluten free for 2 years for my daughter. I have found a way to adapt most of our recipes just using gluten free flour + xantham gum or using naturally gluten free ingredients. We tend to do lots of soups, and a pretty standard dinner for us is meat, veg, rice.
Baking takes a bit longer to adapt, but I find most recipes that have a good amount of leavening agent (baking powder/soda) adapt quite well to GF. And in baking most alternate milks (rice, almond, coconut, goats, lactose free milk) substitute one for one.
Good luck!

iris0110 03-31-2013 01:50 AM

I'll join. Right now I am vegan, gluten and soy free. I have a "safe list" of recipes but it has been hard on the kids. I found some great websites for making snacks and deserts that were gluten and dairy free and even some wonderful healthy deserts that have been appeased my kids. This was supposed to be an elimination diet simply to try to find what is hurting my stomach but we will leave out whatever foods are bothering me and other members of the family (dh and Tharen are sensitive to casein but dh chooses to consume it anyway).

For now I will post these two sites
http://www.vegweb.com/
This is a vegan website so the recipes are all dairy free, they are not all gluten free but I have used a ton from here that are. I have found everything from a wonderful "ice cream" made with alternative milk (I use coconut) to some really great dinner recipes. We eat a lot of soups.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/201...ate-pie-crust/
I love her recipes. They are almost all dairy free and most are either gluten free or can be made that way. She does primarily deserts (healthy deserts, her cookie dough dip is amazing) but she also has breakfasts, snacks and dinners.

ColbyCreations 03-31-2013 06:28 AM

I am a GF Vegan, who stays away from flour. Family is vegan, but I do tend to cook GF for them anyway. The only soy we consume is tofu.
Fat Free vegan has a lot of great recipes. I usually go to her to find something.
http://fatfreevegan.com/

I would love to share and hear more about your food experiences.

Mummandherboys 03-31-2013 01:22 PM

This is great...thanks Ladies. I love the idea of being able to bounce off ideas/recipes with others who have been doing this for awhile, or who are just starting like me. Okay, so I have been on the site chocolate covered katie...it looks awesome! In fact, I made the frozen somoa girl scout cookie pie for a get-together we are going to this evening and it looks awesome!!...I did try the filling when I was making it and it was so yummy...so can't wait to try it frozen with chocolate on top ;)
Also, I wanted to quick re-post a recipe I found on here from another Mama for GF/DF waffles...we tried it and I was SO happy that everyone liked them...all the kids and DH!! I changed it just a little bit from hers, but here it is: Also, I doubled the one she had, because I always need to double everything for our crew ;)

GF/DF Waffles

1 cup GF flour mix...which is: 2 cups rice flour, 2/3 c potato starch, 1/3 c tapioca flour, 1tsp xanthan gum. Mix and store in airtight container.

1 1/2 c corn flour
2 T sugar
2 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon

mix all this together in a bowl.

then add 4 eggs
3 1/2 cups almond/rice/flax/etc. milk....I used a mixture of flax and almond
1 cup oil (I used 1/2 cup melted coconut oil and 1/2 flax)

Mix all together and pour into waffle maker...we added blueberries one time and choc. chips another... both times were a total hit :)

Newton 03-31-2013 06:13 PM

Soups, lately I've done a lot with a variation on this theme.
Roast a veg or combo (cauliflower and butternut squash are our faves) with evoo and salt and pepper at 350 til soft.
Add to pot with chicken stock (could sub veg broth for veggie/vegan) until very tender.
Puree with immersion blender and add spices (ginger, curry powder etc...)

Newton 03-31-2013 06:13 PM

Soups, lately I've done a lot with a variation on this theme.
Roast a veg or combo (cauliflower and butternut squash are our faves) with evoo and salt and pepper at 350 til soft.
Add to pot with chicken stock (could sub veg broth for veggie/vegan) until very tender.
Puree with immersion blender and add spices (ginger, curry powder etc...)

Mummandherboys 04-03-2013 09:22 PM

We love soups too... I need to do more with different veggies though... so I like your roasting idea. Does anyone do any veggies in foil on the grill? I have never done that, but really want to do more of that as the weather gets nicer and nicer.
So, I just discovered the site glutenfreegoddess... awesome awesome bread that I just made today! Check it out if you are still searching for a great GF bread!! I am excited to try out other recipes on her site.

Newton 04-04-2013 07:42 PM

We do veggies in foil on the grill, most commonly zucchini and potatos. Zucchini cut in half length wise, put in foil and usually add italin type herbs, evoo, balsamic and parmesan. Potatoes usually cut in thin slices and onions in thin slices, evoo, salt and pepper. Double wrap this in foil b/c it takes longer to cook.

Mummandherboys 04-07-2013 02:51 PM

I have been checking out some recipes on the blog glutenfreegoddess... have you guys been on there? It's a great site and what I have tried already is super great!