Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Any other suggestions?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504761)

mommie2_4 03-31-2013 12:54 AM

Any other suggestions??

Ok here is my story...My LO is 4 months old and at her recent check-up Dr told me that I needed to switch her to formula because she has lost weight. I came home, cried and then did my research. I have recently noticed that my supply has gone down drastically. My LO sleeps from 9pm-7am with NO FEEDING sessions at night. During the day she nurses every 4 hours and wont eat more than that. I thought I was supposed to nurse according to her cues and that is what I was doing. The Dr told me there wasnt enough calories in my breastmilk and I should stop nursing.

So here is what I started doing. I am taking 3 Fenugreek pills 3x a day, 2 Blessed Thistle pills 3x a day and a Lactation Support pill (from my local health store) 1 pill 3x a day. I am try to pump in between feedings but I dont always get it done. It has been over a week and there is no change. When I pump I am only getting 1-2oz total.

Can you experienced Mommas give me any more advice as to other things I can do to boost my milk supply. I was told by an LC that its not a calorie problem its a quantity problem. My LO is not receiving enough milk when she nurses but I give her enough to make her content til the next time. I have given her a bottle after i nurse her and she will eat another 3 oz so I know that she is still hungry after she nurses on both sides. I was giving her a pacifier but was also told to take that away becuase the pacifier is replacing her want to nurse.

I would appreciate any ideas you can give me. Other herbs I can take, different tricks to pumping or enticing her to nurse. I will do anything to help keep her nursing. :)

eliz7 03-31-2013 08:13 AM

My sister did this. It was the case of the too placid baby. My mother started to basically force nurse her every 2 hours during the day. She started gaining weight. I would suggest dream feeding her in the night as well. If she is only nursing 4-5 times in 24 hours that will not be enough.

1-2 ounces when pumping is normal and not a reflection of low supply. Does she have a lip or tongue tie because that could make milk transfer more difficult. I would not move to formula but push nursing more.
Good luck!!

l_Kimmie_l 03-31-2013 09:10 AM

Re: Any other suggestions??

You can also take reglan or domperidone to help up your supply. Definately nurse more often or keep pumping between nursing sessions.

CASMama711 03-31-2013 10:40 AM

You could try using an SNS (supplemental nursing system) to supplement until your supply improves. Also make sure that you're eating a nutritious diet with plenty of fat and calories and drinking plenty of water.

Miss squish 03-31-2013 01:21 PM

How many times a day is baby nursing? I agree with a pp to offer even if she isn't asking for it, every 2-3 hours is good to aim for. 4 hours sounds like a really long time for a 4 month old. Maybe without the paci she will be more interested.

You could take all the medications and supplements available to you but it won't increase your supply enough if your baby is not nursing often.

I have found that nursing at least once between 1-5 am is really beneficial to supply and mine at least nurses pretty well when he's drowsy because he's not distractable. The early am feeding is helpful to your overall production because that's when your prolactin levels are highest (says an LC I worked with and my own doctor). For a while I was waking up ds to eat by 3:00 am if he hasn't already woken up so that he could get that extra session and help my production. That long stretch overnight just sounds really long for 4 months. I know some babies do it though. If you don't want to wake her you could get up and pump but baby to boob is easier and you don't have to wake up all the way to do that.

birdinhand 03-31-2013 02:35 PM

Prolactin levels are highest at night, so one feeding at night would be helpful. There are ways they can actually test how many calories your breastmilk has, I seriously doubt yours isn't high enough -- no offense, your doctor sounds lame. Why jump to formula without knowing for sure it's your milk? There is human milk fortifier that can be added in the case there aren't enough calories for the baby.

What have her weights been since birth and how many different scales has she been weighed on?

All those supplements, and even medication, aren't going to do anything if the milk isn't removed frequently enough, either by a baby or by a pump.

I would be asking a lot more questions before jumping to formula -- good for you to look for alternatives.

mommie2_4 03-31-2013 05:52 PM

Her birth weight was 5lbs 15oz. At her 2 month check up she was 7lbs 14oz and then at her 4 month check up she was 9lbs 4oz. The Dr said she had fallen off the growth curve and was now in the failure to thrive category. But she eats well when she is hungry she just doesn't seem to be hungry often. I have noticed that since I took away the pacifier she nurses more often, she just doesn't sooth as well lol.

You have all given me some great thing to look into. I need to set an alarm at night and wake her to nurse. Her previous nursing schedule was awake at 7am, nurse. Then she nursed at 10, 2, 5, 9 and then down to bed. This was the schedule she set, I just nursed on her demand.

birdinhand 03-31-2013 06:33 PM

This is something that you may find helpful to examine other issues that may factor into this being a normal thing for your baby: http://kellymom.com/health/growth/growthcharts/

Quote:

What doctors are generally looking for on a growth chart is that baby stay relatively consistent in their growth pattern (see above for why this may not happen with earlier growth charts). Growth charts are only one part of the puzzle, however, and must be evaluated along with other factors, including:
■What size are baby’s parents? What were their growth patterns as babies? What about baby’s siblings or other family members? Genetics plays a large part in baby’s size, so don’t ignore it.
■Is baby gaining consistently, even if it’s not on a curve?
■Is baby meeting developmental milestones on or near target?
■Is baby alert, happy, active?
■Is baby showing other signs of adequate milk intake?

birdinhand 03-31-2013 06:33 PM

Oops. Double-post.

Van1300 03-31-2013 07:29 PM

I had a "fall off the charts" failure to thrive girl too. She was 7 lbs 9 oz at birth and 10 lbs at 4 months and 13 lbs at 6 months. I EBF until 5 months when I started adding a bit of rice cereal to her bottle. She started solids at 6 months and was 18 lbs by one year. She was a lazy nurser too and never slept through the night until after a year.

If she is wetting enough diapers during the day and growing and thriving, hitting all the milestones, you have nothing to worry about!!!

(Funny enough, my guy is 5 months and he 2-3 lbs heavier then my daughter already!)