Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   S/O Names - when should babyish pet names retire? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504771)

Leiiki 03-31-2013 06:16 AM

S/O Names - when should babyish pet names retire?

Looking at the name threads, some folks use pet names for their kids that obviously derive from baby-related themes. For example, we got in the habit of calling DD "The Goo," and "goo" is now a regular noun and adjective in our vocabulary (electrical cords are not for goo's, this is the special goo-chair...)

She'll be three in a couple weeks and a big sister in a couple months, and were wondering when her "baby name" should be phased out - if we can even do that after using it so long. What do you think?

(ETA: we do use her given name all the time, and no one outside DH and I use the pet name)

momtoGcubed 03-31-2013 06:18 AM

Re: S/O Names - when should babyish pet names retire?

My parents called me Baby until I was 13. :blush: So, before that. ;)

bluedaisyma 03-31-2013 06:27 AM

My 14 yr old niece is known as baby and she doesn't care. My 18 yr old was titi until he was, maybe 12? He naturally phased put of it. We are big into nicknames, tho, so it's not a big deal here.

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone

canadianbakers 03-31-2013 06:30 AM

DD is 10.5, we still call her by her nn's - Ruthie, RooBear, and I have always called her Chicken Little... though I can't remember why!

I don't think there's a specific age when you would or should stop using them - whenever the child asks you to, I suppose!

Shaunam 03-31-2013 06:43 AM

My family still sometimes calls my twin nephews by their baby names and it drives me nuts! They are 14! One of the names is ok for a teen I guess, one is soooo NOT (has the word "bear" in it).

I have lots of "pet names" for my kids. But they aren't really "baby" names. And I don't use them in public so I don't think I'll be phasing them out any time soon.

hilaryisinked 03-31-2013 07:49 AM

My mom still calls me Sweet Pea. I'm 23. I don't really mind. My step brother was always called Chewy as a baby and a toddler and still is. He's 28. I think we'll always call DD2 The Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Rhianna'sMommy 03-31-2013 07:55 AM

If the kid doesn't care, I see no issue using a pet name for them at any age. By 4-5 I would stop using it in public and when friends are over if it is overly cutesy. My Mom still calls me and my brothers by our nicknames at times and we're all grown adults. But she never used it around friends or in public.

Dh at 5 asked his Mom to stop calling him Tigy but he was out playing with his friends and she was standing at the door calling for him at the top of her lungs. His friends teased him about it so he asked her to stop calling him that. I suspect if she hadn't used the name around friends she'd have gotten away with it longer.

jennayoung99 03-31-2013 07:57 AM

I think it depends on how babyish they are. My niece's nickname is magoo, and I don't see a reason to ever stop caller her that, but my husbands friend in highschools mom called him bubbie, and it embarassed the crap out. I also have a friend in his late 20s who still goes by pea pod (shortened to poddy) and my mom and her sister still go by their nicknames of punk and gee-gee. I say use you own discretion, and of course if the child asks to stop being called that.

lemurmommies 03-31-2013 08:03 AM

I'm 33 and my mom still calls me Jelly Bean from time to time. Doesn't bother me in the least. As long as the child isn't voicing/acting like they are embarrassed by it, I don't see age as a reason to stop.

hilaryisinked 03-31-2013 08:07 AM

Oh DH's mom still calls him "Huggie." He doesn't care.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum