Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is PBS addictive for preschoolers? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1505351)

3 ladybugs 04-02-2013 03:23 PM

Is PBS addictive for preschoolers?

My son likes to have the TV on while he plays. He doesn't watch much of it, but he likes the background noise and we know he learns something every now and then. Normally I have it on Science Channel for him, and occasionally History.

Well last week we had lots of appointments and DS had his DVD player with him where he watches cartoons (disney or Cat in the Hat) while I am going through the appointment. He asked me if he could watch more cartoons when he got home and figuring that it couldn't be that bad for him, I let him watch a bit of PBS.

Well the next day he wanted to watch more then the short bit I let him see. He had done well in his schoolwork so I let him watch a bit more. We were busy Friday, so he didn't watch any that I remember. :headscratch:

Over the weekend he WENT CRAZY asking for PBS. We kept telling him that there were no cartoons on when he was asking for it, but it turned into bigger and bigger fits!

Yesterday he asked for it and I refused. The weekend was hard enough so I didn't let him want him to watch it. I actually didn't let him watch any TV yesterday other then the Yankee/Red Sox game that I wanted to watch.

Today he is asking for it again and he has been having a fit for the last 30 + minutes wanting PBS. Shows that are on that used to be his favorite (Mythbusters) he is refusing. It is making me think that he is addicted to PBS or something. My father was an alcoholic/drug abuser and I think I saw this same behavior when he was getting clean as I am now seeing in my son! :cry:

DH and I have decided no more PBS as he was NEVER this way with the science channel and only with Top Gear on History (which we have since limited in the house as well).

Has anyone else experienced this? I didn't think a couple of days of watching PBS would do this to my child! :cry: My son is 4.5 so I know tantrums can be normal but this is insane at this point.

mcpforever 04-02-2013 04:51 PM

Re: Is PBS addictive for preschoolers?

My guess is that he finds PBS programming (I'm assuming that you're showing him the kids' shows) more entertaining, engaging, and accessible for his age than the programming aimed at an older audience. On top of that, he's used to having the TV on, so it doesn't make sense to him that you won't turn on what HE wants to watch.

It also may just be that since he's gotten to watch a lot of programming aimed at keeping him entertained, (dr's appointments) that he is just expecting the same amount of it on a regular basis. In his mind, he probably doesn't think of it as only something he does during dr appointments if he got a little at home as well.

It's kind of like when my family goes on vacation and comes home wanting fast food. Sorry kids. We're at home. We eat real food here.

ETA: I think that setting limits is healthy and a good way to set an example for self indulgences throughout life. Just be sure to communicate the limits to him and then follow through with them!

3 ladybugs 04-02-2013 04:58 PM

I guess that is what I find funny. He has been entertained by the DVD player at my appointments for a LONG time. I had cancer when he was 15-22 months so sadly he has been with me to more then his fair share of appointments (also DVD player in hand too :hide: ). This just came up this week though.

EmilytheStrange 04-02-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever (Post 16460076)
My guess is that he finds PBS programming (I'm assuming that you're showing him the kids' shows) more entertaining, engaging, and accessible for his age than the programming aimed at an older audience. On top of that, he's used to having the TV on, so it doesn't make sense to him that you won't turn on what HE wants to watch.

It also may just be that since he's gotten to watch a lot of programming aimed at keeping him entertained, (dr's appointments) that he is just expecting the same amount of it on a regular basis. In his mind, he probably doesn't think of it as only something he does during dr appointments if he got a little at home as well.

It's kind of like when my family goes on vacation and comes home wanting fast food. Sorry kids. We're at home. We eat real food here.

ETA: I think that setting limits is healthy and a good way to set an example for self indulgences throughout life. Just be sure to communicate the limits to him and then follow through with them!

I agree. Adult tv shows aren't aimed at him and certainly any show aimed at him will engage him more.

My daughter is just 2 and we've really limited tv and generally use the kindle for educational games when we need a distraction at doctor's appts, etc. but lately, I decided I'd add 'Wonder Pets' to the things she's allowed to choose from in the mornings when mom needs to take a shower. She still chooses 'Yo Gabba Gabba' every morning, but then she expects that she should get to watch an episode of 'Wonder Pets' as well. It's not the show's fault... it's just because I let her watch it and now she thinks she should get an episode of each instead of having to just choose 1.

sometimes I let her watch half an episode more (wonder pets are like 2 episodes in 1, so very convenient for 10 more minutes as opposed to 20). And sometimes I hand her a book while I continue to get ready for the day. I expect her to accept the book days without tantrums.

I think programming aimed at kids is more enticing than adult programming.. which, I still think can cause tv addictions, but in different ways.

cbreeding 04-02-2013 06:58 PM

Kids shows captivate my kids too. We do PBS here a lot too, but it doesn't matter. They watch a variety of things on Netflix.

I've put on documentaries and such, but it only holds their attention so long. I have noticed that my almost 6yo is getting bored with the PBS shows and has started to do other things after a few minutes of watching now.

I do limit screen time but I'm not super strict about it. After to much, they are pretty disagreeable so I try to limit it to one or two shows at a time.

escapethevillage 04-02-2013 08:38 PM

I think he just likes them more. My daycare kids love word girl.

They also love Leap Frog movies, and will happily watch those. We don't have the tv on all the time, but there are those days where one or more kids aren't feeling well, and I'll let them watch tv and lounge around... eventually, the other kids are lying on the mat with them. Watching mindlessly... But, when Word girl comes on, they come in, sit up and really watch it.

Same with Leap Frog.

mommabritt 04-02-2013 09:03 PM

My nearly 20 month old is obsessive about the darn iPad. The moment she sees it or one of our iPhones laying around she mad dashes for them. She also knows how to pick her favorite apps (PBS for super why, Netflix- yes! she can navigate it to yo Gabba Gabba!, and even YouTube :blush: ) She caught on so quickly when we spent some very late, rough nights watching soothing twinkle twinkle videos on there. Now if she can't have them she throws herself on the floor crying and upset. It made me decide that when she is around, devices are off and away. Out of sight, out of mind.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

Leanbh 04-02-2013 09:07 PM

I find this such an odd question.....

Why does my child like to watch the cartoons but not have the same "addiction" to the science or history question basically....

Because he's a kid, kids like cartoons that are fun, rhyme, sing, visually captive.

It's kinda like saying......for some strange reason my kid loves this store called toy r us? He never gets excited like this at Kroger?

Anyhoo.......I would do some kind of schedule or a chart where he can physically fill in his time allowed for watching cartoons. Maybe give him some control over if he want's to use his time up now or later. I find with my older kids with their ipod's it works. Often they will say.....ok, let's save our time for later.....then not be "mad" at me as they get so much time per day, more at the weekend.

Leanbh 04-02-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommabritt (Post 16460767)
My nearly 20 month old is obsessive about the darn iPad. The moment she sees it or one of our iPhones laying around she mad dashes for them. She also knows how to pick her favorite apps (PBS for super why, Netflix- yes! she can navigate it to yo Gabba Gabba!, and even YouTube :blush: ) She caught on so quickly when we spent some very late, rough nights watching soothing twinkle twinkle videos on there. Now if she can't have them she throws herself on the floor crying and upset. It made me decide that when she is around, devices are off and away. Out of sight, out of mind.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

I was thinking about this today. My LO is 16 months and in the "phone" phase right now. So walks around the house with the house phone, my cell, toy phones, even his hand today, lol.

I was thinking....hmm, I need to pull out our toy vintage fisher price phone for him too......but then I realized that they do this creative play to mimic us. The old style phone is not what he has seen or is used to. So maybe it's weird that he grabs the cell and talks, but that is his creative play.

EmilytheStrange 04-02-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leanbh
I was thinking....hmm, I need to pull out our toy vintage fisher price phone for him too......but then I realized that they do this creative play to mimic us. The old style phone is not what he has seen or is used to. So maybe it's weird that he grabs the cell and talks, but that is his creative play.

We have an old school fisher price type play phone that DD certainly knows is supposed to represent a phone.

We've never had a corded phone since she's been alive, but she knows.