Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   When can you give them water? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1505417)

Mayghan 04-02-2013 06:20 PM

When can you give them water?

I'd like to start getting DD used to a sippy cup, she's only 4.5 months, but Im planning on nursing her for over a year and would like to avoid bottles altogether, I don't want to bother unthawing breaskmilk though to get her to try a sippy cup so I'd like to start with water. I'd especially like to give it to her when were eating, I know she'll play with it alot more than drink from it but in case she gets water out I want to make sure she's ok for water before doing that! So when can I start giving her a sippy cup with water?

teacherpippi 04-02-2013 06:24 PM

Re: When can you give them water?

We waited until 6 months, but we still invited the kids to the table- gave them plates and plastic silverware to play with while we were eating.

Mayghan 04-02-2013 06:30 PM

Oh she;s at the table now, but thought it would be a good time to give her a sippy cup.

keen1981 04-02-2013 06:33 PM

I'd give her a sippy with Breastmilk. Water is not needed at this point. If its just to play, then maybe I would. But for consumption, I would choose bm

MsGiggles 04-02-2013 06:35 PM

I offered a bit of water when I introduced solids at 5-6 mos. You can decide how much H2O to put in the cup, and limit it that way. I noticed NO decrease in the amount of BM they were consuming.

Mrs. Logan 04-02-2013 06:35 PM

She can have about 1-2 ounces of water a day. It's not necessary though.

Mayghan 04-02-2013 06:41 PM

I mostly want it cause I can just let her use the sane sippy for the day, thats why I dont want to use bm. And its just to learn to use the sippy not for her to actually drink water, Dont want her sucking back air either

songbird516 04-02-2013 10:06 PM

broth, maybe? I would probably so homemade broth before water. She needs lots of good nutrition.

keen1981 04-02-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayghan
I mostly want it cause I can just let her use the sane sippy for the day, thats why I dont want to use bm. And its just to learn to use the sippy not for her to actually drink water, Dont want her sucking back air either

She'd likely learn faster if it was bm.

Art mama 04-02-2013 10:26 PM

I have my dd a soppy of water when I started solids. She was about 5 months old. She didn't get much out if it for a couple if months. I'm talking only drops so I didn't feel that it mattered that she had a little water. Now she's 10 1/2 months old and has been drinking out if it pretty good for a month or two. I never rushed her, just have it to her to play with. I spend more time picking it up off of the floor than anything lol