Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Pic of my dd in her ff seat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1505478)

BeccaSueCongdon 04-02-2013 10:51 PM

Pic of my dd in her ff seat

This is my DD in her FF carseat. She's asleep and slumped down so far that the straps look like they're way too high! I pointed it out to DH and he brushed me off. We had turned her FF bc the seat wouldn't fit in the back of our compact car RF, but we bought a van this weekend and I'm thinking turning her RF again is a good idea.

I thought I'd post these photos here in hopes of getting some confirmation that the straps aren't safe this way. Am I right?

mommabritt 04-02-2013 10:56 PM

What is her age/weight? Straps do look bit high to me but it may be her position. She looks like she would be more comfortable rf though.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

BeccaSueCongdon 04-02-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommabritt
What is her age/weight? Straps do look bit high to me but it may be her position. She looks like she would be more comfortable rf though.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

She's 2 yo at the end of this month and barely 30 lbs. this seat will rf up to 40/45 lbs I think. So she's well within the weight to still rf.

I guess I just need some support to put my foot down with DH about it. He thinks I'm being dumb about wanting to keep her RF and blames my obsession with carseat safety on anxiety.

ktmelody 04-03-2013 12:22 AM

The straps are way to high for FF. they need to be at or above the shoulders and if you go down a notch they still should be above.

I would rear face her though. Straps below the shoulders.

jjordan 04-03-2013 06:28 AM

Re: Pic of my dd in her ff seat

Do you have an angle adjuster for your seat? It will help it to be more upright when RF, thus taking up less space.

BeccaSueCongdon 04-03-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody
The straps are way to high for FF. they need to be at or above the shoulders and if you go down a notch they still should be above.

I would rear face her though. Straps below the shoulders.

In going to turn her back around today.

When she's awake she sits up high enough for the strap setting as it is (in ff mode). If I put it down one, its too far below her shoulders for ff. That's the big problem we've had with figuring our this FF thing with her, when we were forced to do it bc of the small car (we had the small car temporarily bc our old van was totaled and we had a Camry on loan for a few weeks).

Does anyone else have this problem with ff? How do you deal with it? I'm turning her back to rf anyway, but someday I'll have to figure it out.

canadianbakers 04-03-2013 08:20 AM

People have the similar problem with RF, though - the straps are too far below baby's shoulders to seem comfortable/safe, but the next slot up is above baby's shoulders - need to keep them down at the lower one.

I do kwym about this though. We just turned DS3 in his new radian and I'm still debating the harness slots I should have it in. I think the problem is that right now they're just at his shoulders, and I'm not used to that, kwim? I may move them up just to see how much higher they look.

solarbabies 04-03-2013 09:17 AM

Straps at or above for ffing...there is no 'too high' when ffing. Looks to me like the slot lower MIGHT be a tad below if she were sitting straight...so as long as she is ffing I would leave them where they are.

As for rfing.....is he against her rfing again?Why if so? She is of age and weight to ff BUT much safer rfing. There is no reason to not rf her and she will sleep more comfortably.

ETA: just read all the responses :blush: when you turn her ffing again then just make sure when she is sitting at her tallest the straps are above. She will slouch a little when she sleeps and that is normal. Also, make sure the crotch strap is in the right position....if it is too far out it will give her more room to kinda slide down.

TalkinBoutMyGirl 04-03-2013 09:34 AM

Shannon is right. There is no "too high" when FF.

Good on you turning her back RF. And the anxiety? Really? It's physics and what is safer. Just nod and smile at your husband and do it your way lol

BeccaSueCongdon 04-03-2013 11:35 AM

Gah!!

I tried turning It around and couldn't figure out why the heck the angle wasn't working. Instead of risking installing it wrong rf, I put it back to ff for our appointment this morning, and have been studying the manual to figure out the problem (I should have started there, duh). Realized we need the RF base attachment for it to angle properly. Duh!!

Thanks a ton, ladies! I'm setting it up properly now and DH can suck an egg. ;-)