Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I'm making fat-free milk? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1505593)

Catbutt Diapers 04-03-2013 12:21 PM

I'm making fat-free milk?

I've been EPing for about 2 months, my supply dipped down to next to nothing so I started taking Domperidone. I've got my supply back up to about 10oz a day now. The last couple days my milk has been almost completely fat-free it will sit in the fridge over night and only have the teeny tinyest film of cream on top... it used to have a nice thick layer before the Domperidone. Is that normal? Is it supposed to switch to fat-free (Lulu is 9 months)?

l_Kimmie_l 04-03-2013 12:51 PM

Re: I'm making fat-free milk?

I have never had that happen. I would try adding more good fats to your diet.

keonli 04-03-2013 02:01 PM

Is your milk more bluish than white?

Van1300 04-03-2013 02:35 PM

Drink water! I can always tell the difference when I pump and don't drink enough.

Catbutt Diapers 04-03-2013 02:59 PM

It's very white/yellow. It has always been greenish, but the Dom. has turned it white/yellow. And I know I'm drinking enough water. My diet hasn't changed at all, but the fat is just gone!

evasimone 04-03-2013 04:52 PM

You know I am experiencing the same thing and I chalk it up to the pump and my ability to respond to it. I am pumping 6 times per day currently and breastfeeding DD about 3 times per day. When I was renting a hospital grade pump and EPing for 3 weeks I was getting milk with about an inch of fat in a 5 oz. Bottle. Now I am using an Ameda purely yours and I barely get any fat sometimes just a small oil slick floating on the top that I can only see because its a bit shiny.

I feel like the pump isn't able to get the fattier milk out. I do notice an improvement if I pump for 20 minutes because I get an extra let down.

I also will say I don't believe their is much correlation between fat intake and fat content in breastmilk (i know it can affect the types of fats but not necessarily the quantity). I eat around 2-3 avocados a week and plenty of olive oil plus a smoothie every morning made with frozen fruit 3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal, 2 Tbsn flaxseed oil and 1 Tbsn Chia seeds. So I just don't see a correlation honestly.

birdinhand 04-03-2013 09:17 PM

It can depend on the time of day as well -- milk will have more fat in the night than the day.

Sdayfamily 04-05-2013 10:50 AM

That smoothie sounds interesting evasimone!

VeganCupcake 04-06-2013 12:01 AM

My guess is that your pumping sessions just aren't long enough, so you're getting a higher volume of milk, but it's not long enough to get the higher proportion of the fattier milk out. Milk gradually changes over the nursing/pumping session from less fatty (foremilk) to more fatty (hindmilk), just because of the way the fat globules stick together in the milk ducts and the work/time required to get them out (or something like that :) ).

Can you lengthen the pumping sessions? See if additional time would get more hindmilk out?

There has been no research that shows that the amount of fat a woman consumes makes a difference in the fat in her milk. The type of fat will change (like if you eat trans fats, your milk will contain trans fats; if you eat monounsaturated fats, it will contain those), but the amount does not change. So eating extra fat has not been shown to do anything for milk production or calories.