Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Placenta: Fresh or Pills? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1505646)

Leiiki 04-03-2013 02:11 PM

Placenta: Fresh or Pills?

Looking into placenta preparation, and there's a $150 difference between having them prepare it fresh and actually encapsulating. Can I get past the ick factor of eating it fresh (it would be hidden in smoothies, of course) or is it worth the extra $$ to get pills made? Anyone gone the fresh route? Are there other options?

clothdiapercrunchy 04-03-2013 02:50 PM

Re: Placenta: Fresh or Pills?

I actually had mine sliced into small pieces and froze them and swallowed them whole with a glass of milk, frozen. This time I am having it encapsulated. I want it to last longer.

KaleidoscopeEyes 04-03-2013 03:04 PM

I froze mine in chunks. U think this is better than cooking it. I u just made protein shakes with it

Catbutt Diapers 04-03-2013 03:54 PM

I followed the directions on-line to dry and powder it. Then I stored it in a jar in the fridge and just tossed a teaspoon full into my morning smoothies. If there is a next time I am going to ask my MIL to have it encapsulated as our baby present.

Leiiki 04-03-2013 06:24 PM

Those who did the fresh/frozen, could you taste it at all?

KaleidoscopeEyes 04-03-2013 07:35 PM

I didn't but I used a strawberry shake mix. I also rinsed the blood off first.

waterisntsomething 04-03-2013 07:49 PM

I did encapsulated. I had raw and steamed pills and I also have a tincture. I'm all about having it last as long as possible and i like the ease of just having to take a pill rather than prepare a smoothie.

missdawn25 04-03-2013 08:05 PM

I had mine encapsulated and am very sensitive to smell and taste. I could taste it through the pill still and gagged on them. I have a bunch in my freezer still from almost 3 years ago.

rosefall 04-06-2013 06:15 PM

I encapsulated it myself. I already had a dehydrator, so it only cost me the price of a lemon, ginger, and capsules, so maybe $5.

Catbutt Diapers 04-06-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leiiki (Post 16463886)
Those who did the fresh/frozen, could you taste it at all?

Yes, I could still taste it even in a fruit smoothie, it wasn't THAT bad though, just kinda bad. I never tried it, but i heard making a smoothie with cranberry kills the flavour the best. My friend had it professionally encapsulated and said that she could taste it through the capsule, and then had "placenta breath" afterwards.