Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   First Time (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1505735)

Kaylacherie88 04-03-2013 08:17 PM

First Time

Hello! I just had my first child two days ago and we have been breast feeding. It hasn't been the easiest but I'm not giving up. Any useful advice is welcomed! Please help me succeed!

mibarra 04-03-2013 08:19 PM

Lanolin! So soothing for nipples :) Make yourself little goals, at least 6 weeks, then 3 months, etc. Before you know it you'll be sad they're weaning!

gingerpeachee 04-03-2013 08:25 PM

Re: First Time

If your nipples get sore let them get air. Walk around topless or with a nursing bra on, unclipped and folded down. Also.... I think lanolin is a person to person thing.... for me it makes my nipples super tender.

heatherae 04-03-2013 08:36 PM

Nipple shield... But read up on the possible "side effects" to see if it's worth it. For me I was a month in and in tremendous pain because of my ds's poor latch. We eventually got away from using the shield and it was so worth it for us. You can do it! =)

Sarah-B 04-03-2013 11:01 PM

Just wait things will be way less stressful after your baby's 1st weigh in & you see baby is gaining.
Congrats mama!
Also remember in the 1st month to establish a good supply (my lactation consultant told me this) baby must nurse 8 times in 24 hours.

We love the baby connect app on iPhone to keep track if nursing sessions :)
Congrats on your baby

mibarra 04-04-2013 08:15 AM

I use Baby Day chart and love it too. I track feedings, diapers, sleep, it really helps ease my mind. I can tell you going from FF my 1st to BF my 2nd, not knowing the ounces they were consuming was VERY stressful at first :)

l_Kimmie_l 04-04-2013 09:02 AM

Nurse on demand and get plenty of sleep. If you can sleep when baby does, that is perfect. Drink a glass of water with every nursing session.

Pampered Mama 04-04-2013 09:16 AM

Let baby nurse every time they start to make a noise- these first few weeks, you very well may feel like you are tied to the couch- put your feet up and get comfy- this is your time to recuperate as well!

If your nipples get sore, I recommend Motherlove nipple balm over lanolin- it is much easier to apply!

If you want to let us know what issues you are having, we can help troubleshoot-

I also recommend visiting the kellymom.com site- tons of useful info there!

hilaryisinked 04-04-2013 09:27 AM

Nurse on demand. Check out kellymom, so useful! Set little goals. I remember thinking in the beginning how I would ever make it to a year and then we were beyond a year before I knew it. You can do it! :)

1healthylady 04-04-2013 11:24 AM

Breastfeeding is not easy, but it does get easier. Every time you feel like giving up, wait 24 hours. I never wanted to give up after that 24 hour waiting period.

Just relax!! It took four weeks before I nursed without pain. I had been trying so hard to get in the 'right position,' I didn't allow myself to just relax. A little glass of wine helped fix that problem and it has been (mostly) smooth sailing ever since.

Everyone has a preference for nipple balm - having never tried anything else, I like Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter . My LC recommended just plain old Olive Oil too.

Seek support. Whether it's family, a mom's group, friends, online, whatever, support is so important!