Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Co-sleeping, BF, CD... & lots of other questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15059)

eco-girl 06-16-2006 08:38 PM

Co-sleeping, BF, CD... & lots of other questions

Hi all,

Our baby is 4 weeks old. We wanted to use the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper, but he sleeps better in the same bed, so I try the side-lying breastfeeding. He latches on, sometimes better than others, but tends to fall asleep and the nipple comes out of his mouth. Sometimes, I'm so tired, I'm sleeping too, and he ends up feeding often but not deeply. But by 4-6 a.m., I get fed up, feed him in a chair, and hand him off to DH while I sleep in the guest bedroom. I often sleep there anyway because DS makes so much noise, I can't sleep! (DH sleeps okay through the squeaks and peeps.)

Any tips on how to BF better at night? It wakes me up to get in a chair, but it also wakes me up when he's grunting and can't latch on in bed.

Also, I'm worried about diaper rash. His bum is red between the cheeks, so I assume that's what it is. OTOH, my friend suggested not waking him up to change him for a pee unless it's bothering him. We like this, as we're sleep-deprived and once you wake him up to change him, he may or may not be able to fall asleep again. We're still using flats and a cover because he's a bit small for the small pockets I bought him. I'm concerned the cloth with make him more rash-prone. Some ladies here suggested I use a fleece liner. I do, but DH doesn't, and he does most of the night diapering because I'm sleeping as much as I can!

ANy help appreciated! Thanks. :goodvibes:

rlharp5375 06-16-2006 09:16 PM

Re: Co-sleeping, BF, CD... & lots of other questions

Co-sleeping is a learned skill. We struggled at first too. Now ds is 8 months old and can roll over, find the breast, and go back to sleep. He nurses off and on all night, but I have gotten so used to it I don't even wake up. We were never successful using a cosleeper or bassinet. I just sold mine last week and it was still pretty much new.

I don't have to much advice. The side lying does get easier as baby gets older, because their mouth gets bigger and they get a better latch IMO. A trick I learned from my LC when ds was little. Put a rolled up wash cloth under your breast. It elevates it just a little bit off the bed. That helped my ds with his latch when side lying.

As far as diapers, it sounds like baby might be having a reaction to something your eating. I know Dr Sears calls it the bulls eye or something like that. When the baby is red like that around the anus. His site is where I read about it and he said it was from food allergies. Do you eat dairy, soy, or any other high allergens. You may try cutting out dairy for a few days and see if the rash goes away.

Hope that helps a little. It does get better.
Rachel

mrsott 06-16-2006 09:57 PM

co sleeping did take time for all of us, your issues w/ this are familiar to ours.... Youll find diff positions that work well for you to feed while lying down... test some out during the day. I used to sit up everytime my daughter woke. Then I just got to the point where, almost hte novelty of being a new mom wore off, and the sleep was more necessary. You'll figure it out. Try Burts Bees diaper cream... it clears my baby's rash up in one change...and it doesn't seem to damage cloth. FB cause no prob for us and rash either... and I think it is b/c of the fleece. What diaper system do you use at night?? DONT GIVE UP!!! Keep asking Q's!

mama23boys 06-17-2006 09:32 PM

side-laying nursing takes patience and lots of time to get it just right! ds is 5months and i think we have the hang of it! when he was a month i using a night light and a recieving blanket or pillow to keep him on his side and in the right postion..stick with it-it doees get lots better:)

eco-girl 06-18-2006 05:15 PM

Hmm! Kind of discouraging to think it might take until 5 months or 8 months to really get the hang of side-lying. We practiced today. I think I need lots of pillows, including the one behind his back. Thanks for your support! If anyone else does side-lying, please let me know when you & your babe got good at it.

On closer examination, I think the redness on his bum is more from the cheeks rubbing together. It's more pink than angry red and not located anywhere else. Guess we'll stick to the flats and covers for now.

Tx again! :)

Christy 06-18-2006 08:21 PM

We do laying down nursing while we sleep too. My babe is 4 weeks old and the pillows behind you help alot. I also turn the baby on her side and kinda of spoon her. Kwim? I can take a picture if you want. Also, before bedtime I do as big as a feeding with her as I can (without her spitting it all up, hopefully) then I noticed she only wakes up at 12 and 4 and they are little feedings. I call it "topping off". Then at 7am she wakes up and is ready for another big feeding.

I do change her during the night but I do that in the bed too and I have the supplies all set up on the nightstand next to me so she mostly sleeps through the whole changing. I'm getting a bed protector from Fuzzi Fannies for those times that I can't quite get the diaper changed fast enough. :-)

BambooMama 06-20-2006 10:45 AM

i have a 5 wk old and actually nursed side lying as we coslept in the hospital bed (which none of the nurses knew i did)... it was actually easier to do that for her than to be sitting up with the typical cradle or football hold. so it can work for people at VERY different times. dd falls asleep too, but she must stay awake longer b/c she doesn't nurse really frequently at night.

as for the red butt cheeks, i know that pink-squeezed-together-in-a-diaper-butt-cheek look. i'm betting it's fine. i notice that if i do a bit of diaper free time in the am, it'll go away, so i know it's not a rash. might want to try that out. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eco-girl
Hmm! Kind of discouraging to think it might take until 5 months or 8 months to really get the hang of side-lying. We practiced today. I think I need lots of pillows, including the one behind his back. Thanks for your support! If anyone else does side-lying, please let me know when you & your babe got good at it.

On closer examination, I think the redness on his bum is more from the cheeks rubbing together. It's more pink than angry red and not located anywhere else. Guess we'll stick to the flats and covers for now.

Tx again! :)

BambooMama 06-20-2006 10:48 AM

wow... weird to see the EXACT same schedule w/someone else's babe!!!

and, not to make you fellow sleep deprived mammas jealous, but the last two nights, she skipped the 12am feeding!!! WOW, does that feel good to go from 10-4am!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christy
Also, before bedtime I do as big as a feeding with her as I can (without her spitting it all up, hopefully) then I noticed she only wakes up at 12 and 4 and they are little feedings. I call it "topping off". Then at 7am she wakes up and is ready for another big feeding.

aschrimp 06-20-2006 03:38 PM

We got really good at nursing laying down when ds was about a month, maybe two old. We did it before then, but it required several pillows and a light, and I would often sit up to nurse him, and then just nurse him off to sleep laying down. Now it is both of our favorite ways to nurse! (ds is 9 mos now).

Even now, though, I still wake up and just doze through the feeding if I sleep at all. But way better than getting out of bed. DS still nurses 4-5 times a night...

BTW - in my hospital, the LC came by and taught me how to nurse side lying, and the pp nurses encouraged me to have ds in my bed (not that I needed any encouragement). :) They even suggested that dh join us - they said alot of their new families all squish into the hospital bed for the first night. They must not have take a good look at dh, though (he's a BIG guy).