Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   8 days old and too sleepy to nurse. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1506030)

momneedssupport 04-04-2013 10:09 PM

He has slept all day and no amount of pestering will wake him to eat. I changed his diaper which he hates.....i had to pump for the first time this afternoon and im about to pump again bc im toooo full. He acts like im trying to feed him.poison, latching and unlatching over and over.

Why is he so sleepy?? Literally awake for maybe a total of an hour and a half today.

He cluster fed last night and thought we were out of the sleepies that occurred for 24 hours before that.

I dont get it.
Advice? Personal experience??

Sarah-B 04-04-2013 10:17 PM

Dd did this too. Make sure he is eating 8 times in 24 hrs. What I did was take off all of ds's clothes & change her diaper to wake her then leave her clothes off while feeding. Then if she fell asleep I would talk to her & massage her to wake her.
Have you checked for a tongue tie? That might make it hard for him to latch.

My lactation consultant said for the 1st month they must eat 8 times in 24 hrs. & if they sleep longer than 4 hours at night wake to feed. If they sleep longer than 3 hrs during the day wake to feed.
This will help them gain weight, help establish your supply & teach them the difference between day & night.

Good luck & congrats on your baybay!!!!

alaskamum 04-04-2013 10:22 PM

Re: 8 days old and too sleepy to nurse.

DD2 was very sleepy, sleepier than my other two. I think it's b/c she wasn't really ready to be born; I had a c-section at 37 weeks due to placenta previa. Anywho, I had to wake her up a lot, she would sleep way too long between diaper changes and feedings.

My first two needed to be stripped down to their diaper to be woken up to eat.

Hang in there, just keep trying, but don't be afraid to find someone local for help. If he's having trouble latching you need to get some help with that, like a lactation consultant. Good luck.

momneedssupport 04-04-2013 10:27 PM

I do wake him and try to force feed him, but he refuses to latch or latches for a few sucks then unlatches abd purses his lips. Hes term and my third to bf. Im so frustrated.

Ive taken his clothes off and pestered him. Hes def not getting hindmilk. Makes me sad:(

nebraskamom 04-04-2013 10:41 PM

Is he jaundice? dd was jaundice and very sleepy at that age. I also had to leave her in just a diaper to get her to wake up.

homebirthmom 04-04-2013 10:48 PM

get a syringe and feed the baby so he wakes up. he may have jaundice or a bit low sugar which will make him more sleepy

momneedssupport 04-04-2013 10:57 PM

I can try that. Hes not jaundice, just had a checkup yhis am and was nursing fine, until the appt was over and he's slept all day since, no vax or anything either. I just tried again, does not care at all.

Syringe it is......fx it works.

Sarah-B 04-04-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebirthmom
get a syringe and feed the baby so he wakes up. he may have jaundice or a bit low sugar which will make him more sleepy

Oh yes I did also have to do this for the first week or so. Once dd got the milk from the syringe she would wake a little more then would latch a little better.

We also had to use the nipple shield for the 1st month which was recommended by the LC.
Worked great. & by 6-7weeks we weaned off that :)
Hugs mama
Hope he gets it soon

momneedssupport 04-04-2013 11:20 PM

Well, he's currently latched and eating:/ with tremendous effort. Ive been blowing on him and changed his dipe again. i really hope the sleepy phase doesnt last long.

I used a shield for a few days so my nips could heal, he prefers breast to the shield.

keen1981 04-04-2013 11:26 PM

Some babies are happy to starve. So I insist you do consistent weight checks. He MUST nurse at the very least 8 x per 24 hours. Preferably 12x. This is not just for him but for you. He is just a young baby and needs you to teach him how to nurse. Make sure you are positioning him properly. Call a LC!

You are likely causing him to shut down. No one sleeps thru poking and proding. Babies are amazing at shutting down. You see it easy in the hospital. Why doesn't you hear constant crying from infants? They shut down.

So get in the bath with your baby. Lift the top arm up and down while nursing. Going balls to the walls to get them to wake up can do the opposite effect