Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Vbac (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=225)
-   -   Pitocin induction with Vbac? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1506216)

Kinrice01 04-05-2013 04:22 PM

Pitocin induction with Vbac?

I have mostly heard that it is not good to use Pit with a vbac. My own doctor says he will only do a very small amount. Well now that I am approaching 41 wks and still have not gone into labor on my own, Come Monday, I am going to have to make the decision to either let him do this Pit induction or go to a repeat Csection. I can't just keep waiting it out, as baby is very big, estimated 10+ pounds (by 2 different u/s places). So I'm just wondering what everyone else's docs said about this...or what your experience was. Oh, I am dialated 3 now, 50% effaced, this is my 5th baby and only my last baby(#4) was a csection.
Thanks!

shan1212 04-05-2013 05:36 PM

Re: Pitocin induction with Vbac?

The OB who approved my vbac (I switched to a midwife practice at 37 weeks and this was a formality) told me that they would use a very small amount of pit to induce me at 41 weeks if I hadn't gone into labor. Like you I was already dilated a fair amount (4cm 10 days before I went into labor), so he said probably all they'd have to do was break my water. I went into labor at 39w6d though, so it wasn't an issue.

4ShoreRN 04-05-2013 05:52 PM

First the baby's weight by ultrasound is usually off by a pound or so and isn't reliable. Second your due date isn't a for sure thing either as that can be off by weeks. Third pitocin is nasty painful. It is not natural and will cause your uterus to work harder because your body isn't ready to give birth. I think it puts you at greater risk for a tear where your uterus was previously cut. I know it sucks being so far along and no baby yet. I'd wait it out another week if you can. The baby should come out when it is ready to not when your doctor says it should.
Doctors induced me a few days before my due date with my son saying he was almost 8lbs. He came out 6lbs 14ozs. and it was obvious he was early. I still regret having them induce me.

Sdayfamily 04-05-2013 05:53 PM

I was 37 wks 5 days when they induced me for health issues. My VBAC was successful but I wish I would have talked to my doctor more about how they planned to do the epidural and birth process. My dr would not turn the pitocin up until after I agreed to have the epidural. I did not want to do it this way because I was not dilated or anything (go figure!) so I spent a good 24 hours there with no progress. After a while, the doctor explained that this is how they were trained to do VBACs and once the epidural was in she would monitor the fetus internally and watch my contractions. Things went quickly from there and i only had to push through five contractions. hope this helps, Good luck!

homebirthmom 04-05-2013 06:26 PM

id say hell no to that. im not sure why its ok for so many moms to get pit when its been known to cause ruptured uteruses. now if an herb caused so much damage it would be banned yet pit is used on a previously cut uterus? I think thats bad medicine and asking for problems

KCmomma 04-05-2013 06:35 PM

I had pit with my VBAC after 72+ hours of laboring. The pit was startred at 10 am and I didn't notice a difference in my contraction intensity. We saw the change on the monitor though. DS finally decided he wanted to come out at 3pm.

Kinrice01 04-05-2013 06:55 PM

Thanks!

~Cricket~ 04-06-2013 09:45 AM

Why don't you have a look at a few natural labour induction methods before you consider pitocin or a c-section. Try using a breast pump, or castor oil, walking, squatting, stairs, etc. Is your baby well positioned? (Have a look at the Spinning Babies website for more info on that.) Maybe ask to have your water broken if all else has failed and your doctor is really insisting on getting baby out. I would NOT suggest pitocin, because it is associated with a higher rupture rate, but perhaps it could be considered just to "nudge" you into labour, without allowing the dose to be increased?
Educate yourself on your options, and then decide what YOU would like for your body and your baby, and go with that!
All the best for a lovely birth sometime soon!

Computermama 04-06-2013 09:51 AM

I had to be induced with my VBAC (pre-e) and we used pit. Pit inductions SUCK. I've had two now. Yes it increases the possibility of rupture, but even then the possibility is really darn small. It's still safer than a RCS. You're lucky, at least you're already dilating. With both of my inductions I was long and completely closed up. I would try my best to avoid an induction, they're way harder on you than natural labor, but given RCS or Pit induction as a choice, I'd DEFINITELY go for the pit induction.

Kinrice01 04-07-2013 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the input!