Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   cloth diapering newbie twins (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1508647)

PurpleMonkey 04-14-2013 07:26 PM

cloth diapering newbie twins

Hey All! I have cloth-diapered twins before, and had 3 full-time in diapers before for over a year, but didn't START cloth diapering until 6 months of age on. By that time I was able to have them fit in one-sized diapers. I have PLENTY of those as you can imagine having needed enough diapers to full-time do 3! I have never cloth-diapered twins before as newborns and was wanting to do just prefolds trifolded in a cover to make it economical and easy as that's what we pretty much do with our youngest now with the Flips, so there won't be a learning curve with my husband come time the new twins come

What are the best prefolds out there? Tell me as it has been a while since I've purchased diapers before so I'm out of the loop. Also best newborn cover for a potentially small baby (my previous twins were 4 and 5 pounds, however my youngest was born at over 10 pounds haha) best for trifolding a prefold? I LOOVED Nikky covers for my youngest when she was 6 months old as it was so soft and didn't leave red marks. I have heard that the Bummis Original Wrap and Bummis Super Brite Wrap are good for newborns for the fit, but I can't tell which one to get. The Original is cheaper (Bummis Original is cheaper).

tell me straight up what you would do if you had twins in cloth diapers

dvrgrl38 04-14-2013 08:02 PM

Re: cloth diapering newbie twins

I have twin newborns right now and they are 5 weeks old and still under 6lbs. My FAV cover is Bummis Super Lite, I don't have Bummis Original or Superbrite to compare them, but the Super Lites are a perfect fit! I also love the fit of Litewrap Preemie covers.
I am currently using preemie prefolds sometime with washcloths as doublers. I pin them because I like to. If your babies don't poop all the time (mine are 1-3 times a day only) or if you have a lot of covers in case they get poop on them trifolding would be ok. I do have some fitteds but they are still pretty bulky so I am using mainly the prefolds and I'm LOVING it!

nonipie 04-14-2013 08:05 PM

Congrats! I really did love Nikky covers on my newborn. I was able to get a pretty great fit over snappied flats and prefolds at 6-7lbs but not sure if they would have worked much smaller. Bummis SB do fit pretty small but the exposed PUL was a no-go for my newborns after a while. If it were me in your position I would do either Imagine prefolds trifolded in Nikky/Niji or GMD workhorse under wool. I really like the simplicity of a one or two type newborn stash and it makes it less stressful for me.

PurpleMonkey 04-14-2013 08:43 PM

thanks for your replies!

nonipie when you said you used the Nikky in the beginning I'm assuming you used the newborn (NOT the smalls), right? And I should get the imagine bamboo or the regular prefolds? (preemie right? I know dumb questions but I've read some people say that babies outgrow the preemie so fast that it's not worth the money paying for the preemie size)

dvrgrl38 which exact prefolds are you using? I'm assuming preemie. How many do you think I need based on your experience thus far? And does it bother you that the Bummis Super Lite Wrap doesn't have crossover straps? As in the fit is still great (I'm assuming so cause you love it so much). And the Litewrap Preemie cover how is it better or worse than the Bummis Super Lite Wrap? Sorry for the million questions! I am terrified of overspending and want to research the heck out of this. AND CONGRATULATONS TO YOU !!!! :wub:

PurpleMonkey 04-14-2013 08:45 PM

would Nikky or Niji be better for trifolding a prefold? I only have experience with Nikky

I REALLY appreciate your answers as it is helping me narrow down my decisions tremendously !

DiaperDiva 04-14-2013 08:56 PM

for padfolding into a cover, I would get whatever is absorbent and trim for the newborn size. You won't have to worry how well they pin/snappi on or anything with padfolding, which is a huge plus :)

March 04-14-2013 09:36 PM

My newborn twins are in AIOs and pockets only and then disposables at night. We have a stash of about 60 CDs: GroVia AIOs (which we've had to retire--they've outgrown the absorbency and doublers aren't fitting in nicely), FBXS, Tots Bots TiniFits, Blueberry Simplex, BGXS, Thirsties Duo AIO size 1, and RagaBabe newborns.

nonipie 04-14-2013 10:45 PM

Yes I did use the newborn size. The Niji are supposed to fit skinnier kiddos better but I think the fit was so similar. I absolutely LOVE them both. We padfold our night diapers in them both so I think it is just personal preference. I would get the newborn prefolds since they should be more absorbent and last longer. If you did preemie you would probably need to doubler them up for absorbency. I do prefer the bamboo but we pin. Maybe small flats are an option? So then you would not have to worry about sizing at all.

holocene 04-14-2013 11:05 PM

Congratulations on another set of twins!!

Sarah-B 04-15-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holocene
Congratulations on another set of twins!!

This! & what are the genders of all ur babies :)