Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Baby and toddler sharing room? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509256)

PurpleFluff 04-17-2013 06:59 AM

Baby and toddler sharing room?

We have a 15 month old foster son, and it is very likely that his sibling, who will be born in the next few weeks, will come here to live as well. We recently moved DS into his own room, and he is sleeping so much better! My husband is a snorer, and I guess we didn't realize how it affected DS. He never fully woke up, but he would be restless/whiny a couple times per night and we would just shush him back to sleep. Since moving to his own room he has not done this once!!!

We were planning on putting the newborn's crib in our room, at least until he's sleeping through the night. But now I'm wondering if he might do better in DS's room. It's plenty big enough for 2 cribs. I don't know if it is worse to disturb the newborn's sleep with DH snoring, or disturb the one year old with the baby crying at night! It would be nice to keep our room a kid free zone, but it's also sometimes easier with a newborn nearby. But then again there is a rocker in DS's room but not ours. Aargh, I just can't decide!!! Any thoughts to help me make this decision?

UVASahm 04-17-2013 07:02 AM

Re: Baby and toddler sharing room?

You could always try it and see how it goes. It's not like the newborn will know the difference either. If it disrupts your sons sleep, you can just move the nb back in with you.

Pixi6s 04-17-2013 07:12 AM

I would think its unlikely that snoring will effect a newborn. I would think it would be easier to have a newborn in your room at least for the first few months and the baby is only waking a couple times a night. The first weeks is often more than that.

mibarra 04-17-2013 10:28 AM

I'd keep the newborn with you unless/until you think the snoring is a problem :)

BSWmama 04-17-2013 11:35 AM

We only have two bedrooms. We are eager to put the baby in his brother's room, but have chosen to wait until he sleeps through the night (for the most part) because we do not want to disrupt my 2 year old, who sleeps really well. If I have to deal with two kids in the night, my head will explode.

Jen's_4 04-17-2013 11:44 AM

I'd keep the baby in your bedroom for a few weeks til it starts sleeping longer stretches. After that I'd move it in with the toddler. My kids all shared a room when they were little and didn't disturb each other much.

raymark 04-17-2013 11:53 AM

I would never trust a toddler alone in a room with an infant. Much safer for a nb to adjust to snoring than survive through toys or blankets being shoved into its crib by a 'thoughtful' young sib.

PurpleFluff 04-17-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymark
I would never trust a toddler alone in a room with an infant. Much safer for a nb to adjust to snoring than survive through toys or blankets being shoved into its crib by a 'thoughtful' young sib.

Older sib is still in a crib and nowhere near being able to climb out. He's small for his age. He has motor delays and I can't see it being an issue at least until baby sib is past the major window for SIDS.

I think we'll go with the baby with us for a while, at least until he's sleeping for a good stretch of time. Now, I can't promise *I* won't end up sleeping in DS's room to escape the snoring, lol. Let hubby and the baby keep each other up ;)