Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509323)

DalesWidda 04-17-2013 11:43 AM

What would you do?

My daughter has two cavities on her two top front teeth. One is small and the other one is a bit larger. We have Badgercare (state insurance). It's really hard to find a dentist and we actually like this place. However, with front fillings, they are tooth colored and made with resin and my dd's mouth would have to stay open for a long time because the filling takes longer to dry. Therefore this place will not attempt it because of her age. So far, she has had positive experiences at the dentist. So here are my three options.

1. Call the number on the back of our insurance card and find a different pediatric dentist who will use an alternative means to keep her mouth open (nitrous, papoosing, etc)

2. Save up enough money to take her to our back up dentist who does not use nitrous or papoosing and is extremely good with children.

3. Tell the dentist that we have now to use silver fillings on her front teeth.

Thanks!

Leanbh 04-17-2013 12:04 PM

Re: What would you do?

I would not do silver or I would not do papoosing(silver just looks really bad, esp in the front teeth, maybe for back ones in baby teeth). Papoosing IMO is guaranteed to make a child fearful of a dentist. I personally would freak out if that was done to me :(

I would try another dentist for nitrous or save for the other dentist.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 04-17-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leanbh (Post 16505370)
I would not do silver or I would not do papoosing(silver just looks really bad, esp in the front teeth, maybe for back ones in baby teeth). Papoosing IMO is guaranteed to make a child fearful of a dentist. I personally would freak out if that was done to me :(

I would try another dentist for nitrous or save for the other dentist.

:agreed:

mommabritt 04-17-2013 12:19 PM

I'd do the nitrous without hesitation.

DalesWidda 04-17-2013 12:24 PM

Here's the problem. With Badger Care I might not find another ped dentist and if I do, I don't know if I have the option between nitrous and papoosing or if I just get what I get. I suppose I can look around and see what I can do.

BSWmama 04-17-2013 12:31 PM

How old is your daughter? Are these baby teeth or adult teeth?

DalesWidda 04-17-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSWmama (Post 16505466)
How old is your daughter? Are these baby teeth or adult teeth?

She is three and they are baby teeth

Jen's_4 04-17-2013 12:41 PM

For baby teeth I'd just do silver and not worry about it. They'll be out in a couple years. I'd feel differently if they were adult teeth.

Mac & Cheeses mom 04-17-2013 12:45 PM

Baby teeth need feelings too due to the fact that they can harm the adult teeth coming in under. My DD has seals put on her because we caught them in time.

I would do silver if your not worried or find a dentist that will do the nitrous. To be honest I have never heard of papoosing and that would scare me.

I hope you can figure this out. Did you ask the current dentist why he won't use nitrous?

DalesWidda 04-17-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac & Cheeses mom (Post 16505520)
Baby teeth need feelings too due to the fact that they can harm the adult teeth coming in under. My DD has seals put on her because we caught them in time.

I would do silver if your not worried or find a dentist that will do the nitrous. To be honest I have never heard of papoosing and that would scare me.

I hope you can figure this out. Did you ask the current dentist why he won't use nitrous?

I have no idea why but the clinic does not use nitrous at all