Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Q's about prepping and stripping..Pls help! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509564)

m.willia 04-18-2013 01:04 AM

Q's about prepping and stripping..Pls help!

Hello! I'm new to CD'ing and am starting my stash. I have 2 new AIO's, 1new pocket, 5 used pockets, 3 used AIO's, 2 used organic cotton covers, 2 used wool covers, 5 new covers, 4 new hemp inserts, and 6 new prefolds...

Do I need to strip my used cotton covers? If so, can I strip together with my used AIO's and used pockets? If not, can I just do a regular wash with my new covers?

After I strip and prep my diapers separately, can I wash and dry all together? (except wool covers of course)

I feel like I had more questions than that lol. Thanks for your help! :) :) :)

m.willia 04-18-2013 01:14 AM

Re: Q's about prepping and stripping..Pls help!

Also, can I just wash my new covers together while prepping my new AIO's and pocket? I have a HE washer and heard it was better to wash big loads but it seems so silly to have so many little loads.

m.willia 04-18-2013 01:14 PM

:bumpsign::bumpsign::bumpsign::bumpsign::bumpsign:

Bump! Anyone?

Pixi6s 04-18-2013 02:21 PM

Covers and most pockets just need to be washed once. The new AIO (and pocket i guess) it depends on what its made of. I would refer to the site you bought it from. If its synthetic material (like microfiber) then wash once with above. If its natural fiber you need to wash it several times and can do with the other items that need prepping below (but not boil).

Used diapers I would wash with oxygen bleach (personally, you can use normal bleach) just to disinfect and lots of hot water. I would watch to make sure there is no soap bubbles in a hot cycle after the bleach to make sure there is no build up.

I like to prep hemp and prefolds by boiling. Boil a couple at a time for 10 minutes. Wash and dry 1 or 2 times and you are good. Otherwise you need to wash & dry 3-5 times each you can do this is a load with towels or other laundry. If your prefolds are bleached you can get away with less... check the site you bought them from (or any diaper site really).

I think that is it...

m.willia 04-18-2013 02:43 PM

Thank you for your reply!

So the used 100% cotton covers don't need to be stripped, just washed once? After I strip and prep all the diapers, can I wash them all together? Covers, AIO's, pockets, hemp inserts, etc... Except for my wool? Can I wash my PUL covers and cotton covers in while prepping the microfiber material, like, can it just go through the same wash cycles?

m.willia 04-18-2013 02:46 PM

Also, why do you prefer oxygen bleach?

m.willia 04-18-2013 02:57 PM

Sorry, one more question... So you're saying I can prep my new hemp inserts with my organic unbleached cotton prefolds?

Pixi6s 04-19-2013 06:23 AM

Yes after prepped you can wash it all together. Used covers wouldn't have to stripped though I have never heard of a 100% cotton cover -- how does it prevent leaks?

Yes you can wash PUL covers with the "microfiber prep" it's not really a prep, its like washing your underwear once before wearing -- its probably not REALLY needed but...

I use biokleen oxygen bleach. It's more natural and not evil for the environment.

"prep" is removing the natural oil in natural fibers. I would would prep the hemp and prefolds together yes. Hemp might have more oils than cotton -- but as you are prepping it would all get washed away.

I did use wool briefly but I am not as versed in that. Check youtube or google it there is lots of instructions.

m.willia 04-20-2013 11:30 PM

Thank you! Also, vanity use oxygen bleach on regular colored laundry or is it just like regular bleach where it'll discolor and whiten it?

m.willia 04-20-2013 11:31 PM

*can I (not vanity)