Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   heart pounding & out of breath (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509754)

leyash 04-18-2013 04:52 PM

heart pounding & out of breath

i am 37+2, and for as long as i can remember (since 25 weeks or so, minimum) i get SO out of breath when i eat. like, my heart skips a beat at times, and it pounds like crazy. it also does this when i am up moving around a lot as well, though not every single time.

i have had palpitations before, and nothing has ever come of it, or shown any signals that i should worry about.

however, the heart beating super fast (probably about 100-120 bpm) after i eat is SO uncomfortable. it typically comes on about 20 minutes after i eat, and lasts about an hour or so, maybe more. sometimes (though rarely) it happens without me eating as well.

any ideas?

EmilytheStrange 04-18-2013 05:15 PM

Can you slow breathe through them?

Once I learned I could control them with slow breathing out my mouth counting to 5 or so, they would stop. Took a few breaths sometimes, but if I didn't do this, the increased heartrate would last a fairly long time.

leyash 04-18-2013 06:12 PM

Re: heart pounding & out of breath

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 16510082)
Can you slow breathe through them?

Once I learned I could control them with slow breathing out my mouth counting to 5 or so, they would stop. Took a few breaths sometimes, but if I didn't do this, the increased heartrate would last a fairly long time.

yeah, i have done this and it seems to work decent. what causes them (from your experience)?

stevensmom 04-18-2013 06:13 PM

this is very common late in pregnancy since your blood supply is being given to the baby. The only recommendation that I've seen is watch your diet, sodium intake, etc.

And just breathe....:hugs:

soon it will be over!

leyash 04-18-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevensmom (Post 16510235)
this is very common late in pregnancy since your blood supply is being given to the baby. The only recommendation that I've seen is watch your diet, sodium intake, etc.

And just breathe....:hugs:

soon it will be over!

i didn't even think about it being related to blood flow, DUH. lol i guess that really does make sense.

it's not like, uncomfortable enough to really make me worry, i just couldn't imagine WHY it would be happening. it's really uncomfortable. baby being in the lungs toward the end is uncomfortable enough, then you add high heartrate/short of breath to that and i want to scream! lol

Erinne 04-18-2013 09:55 PM

Yours sounds different since it's so tied to eating, but when I described those symptoms to my midwife, she thought I might be having panic attacks. Apparently the emotional aspect of it (feeling panicked) isn't always a component.

Leah52 04-18-2013 10:08 PM

You can try the Valsalva maneuver, hold your nose, close your mouth and bare down like you would to pop your ears. This can help slow your heart down.

leyash 04-18-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erinne (Post 16510960)
Yours sounds different since it's so tied to eating, but when I described those symptoms to my midwife, she thought I might be having panic attacks. Apparently the emotional aspect of it (feeling panicked) isn't always a component.

i've had panic attacks before, and this isn't really it. in fact, i'm pretty calm/tired during these episodes. once i eat, i get tired/want to lay down, but i can't because it's so uncomfortable. :(

stevensmom 04-18-2013 11:09 PM

Yeah it's not a panic attack

If you look up "heart races after eating while pregnant" it's very common. Due to the blood circulation.

AngelElle 04-19-2013 12:24 PM

I get that too and thought it was probably the too much blood/ not enough lung space combo. Same reason I get out of breath going up stairs and feel like I'm suffocating when I blow my nose. Ahh the things we do for our babies :)