Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Got diagnosed with GD today :-P (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1509767)

BeccaSueCongdon 04-18-2013 05:36 PM

Got diagnosed with GD today :-P

I I'm pg with baby #3, and bc my other two were so large (10lb 12oz) & (9lb 15oz), they wanted me to do the GTT early at 15 weeks. Results came back positive. I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed.

I'd love to hear from other mamas who've had GD, what your treatment was like and how your GD status effected your plans/outcome of delivery.

UVASahm 04-18-2013 05:43 PM

Re: Got diagnosed with GD today :-P

I'm sorry mama! I have no advice just so sorry. Do you have to go on insulin?

stevensmom 04-18-2013 05:51 PM

:hugs: haven't had it but a dear friend does and she can't wait to have baby to stop doing the insulin and the icky diet. She is craving so much stuff that she couldn't have :(

gabmaxi 04-18-2013 09:08 PM

This is my third pregnancy with GD. The diet isn't bad, you just have to remember to check your sugars which can be hard with little ones distracting you.

As for sweets and stuff - you can usually have a little so you don't feel deprived, but try to pair it with a protein and maybe later in day (my sugars are most sensitive in the morning).

My first I controlled with diet/exercise, he came on his own at 40 weeks. Second I was on glyburide so did lots of bpp's and nst's, and I asked to be induced the day before my due date. I had a crazy cold and could not handle being pregnant anymore,

Good luck!

bumminbeachbabe 04-18-2013 09:26 PM

I have gd this time. My ob suspects I had it with my boys as well.

I tried diet alone, the diet and metformin, and now I do twice daily insulin injections. It's tough at first but gets better. The hardest times are when I really want something and have to try to find a way to indulge or ignore completely.

We are scheduling an induction if I make it to my next appointment on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

BeccaSueCongdon 04-18-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UVASahm
I'm sorry mama! I have no advice just so sorry. Do you have to go on insulin?

They're going to try diet and exercise to manage it first. It was only my fasting numbers that were elevated, and only by two points above the cutoff. The other two (after the drink) were within normal range. I don't know the significance of all that, just hoping it means its not super severe so I will be able to manage it easily. I'm not sure what my options will be if I need induction, bc I'm a vbac. I've had one vbac already.

MamaLump 04-19-2013 08:03 AM

I have the opposite. My fasting numbers are always good, but the after mealtimes are the bad ones. Unfortunately, it is my understanding (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that it is when your fasting numbers are off that it is the hardest to control with diet alone. Since you are fasting, what you have been eating doesn't matter as much.

MamaLump 04-19-2013 08:13 AM

Oh, and how it changes things for me.

I have to eat very specific stuff, the ADA guidelines are:

Breakfast:15-30 grams carbs. No simple sugars (like fruit).
AM snack: 15-30 carbs
Lunch: 45 grams
Afternoon snack: 15-30 carbs
Dinner: 45-60 grams
Bedtime snack: 45 grams

Everything should be paired with protein. For me that means for every 15 g carbs I try to eat at least 7 G protein. The major draw back for me was that I had planned to limit the amount of dairy I was going to eat the last month of pregnancy as my first son had a dairy sensitivity and I plan on breast feeding again. I now eat TONS of cheese and Greek yogurt. Hopefully it won't be a problem for this baby.

They say they will induce at 39 weeks. I certainly wasn't planning on that. Hopefully she will still be in the normal size range at my 37 week growth scan and I can avoid that.

Also, I'm going to start hand expressing colostrum to save in case her blood sugars are low and they want to supplement.

Other than those things, it is pregnancy as usual here.

hbee 04-19-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaLump (Post 16511742)
Oh, and how it changes things for me.

I have to eat very specific stuff, the ADA guidelines are:

Breakfast:15-30 grams carbs. No simple sugars (like fruit).
AM snack: 15-30 carbs
Afternoon snack: 15-30 carbs
Dinner: 45-60 grams
Bedtime snack: 45 grams

This is very similar to what I did.

I started with:
Breakfast:30 grams carbs.
AM snack: 30 carbs
Afternoon snack: 30 carbs
Dinner: 60 grams
Bedtime snack: 30 grams

By the end, I was doing
Breakfast: 45
Snack: 30
Lunch: 45
Dinner: 45

Diet controlled mine, I actually only had two sticks over what the goal was the whole time. It was super annoying to have to stick to guidlines... but, the 99 cent bag of dorito's is right around 30 carbs, and if your sugars behave you might be able to cheat with that. ;) I went into labor on my own at 35 weeks, but they weren't wanting me to go past 39. I gained 15 lbs my whole pregnancy, 13 of which were from before starting the diet at 26 weeks.

MamaLump 04-19-2013 11:15 AM

A super yummy treat for me that is within the guidelines is a crunchy taco supreme from Taco Bell. 15 carbs, 9 protein. Love it! It is awesome to know when road tripping, because its one of the only fast foods that are within guidelines that I like.