Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Heartburn! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510120)

lemon.extract 04-19-2013 08:56 PM

Heartburn!

I have now started getting heartburn, and boy is it uncomfortable, not in pain or anything just not comfortable. I mentioned it to my husband last night and he asked if I wanted to get medicine. I said it is bearable, so no.

He happened to mention that the lining of the stomach replaces itself every 4 days and he wondered how the throat handled the stomach acid. Naturally I had to do a little bit of research on the web. Turns out heartburn, with time, can permanently damage your throat.......

So we went and bought some tums. My midwife was saying that tums aren't the best and they leave coating on the placenta.

What do you mamas use that is cheap and effective?

nettepoet 04-19-2013 10:21 PM

Re: Heartburn!

i know this is pretty much my answer to everything, but it really does cure a lot:

apple cider vinegar (organic, with the mother).

take a tablespoon in a little water right before you eat, it clears it up in a matter of days, maybe less. :)

in addition, it prevents UTIs and kidney infections, is a gentle liver/organ detox, regulates blood sugar, and has a bunch of good for you minerals in it. ive been taking it 3x/day since i got over my morning sickness. it just happens to be gross, but not that difficult to get used to.

lemon.extract 04-19-2013 10:29 PM

how much water? a 1/4c or more?

Sounds yucky but I am willing to give it a try. I have been doing so well this whole pregnancy not taking any medicine (I am not against it just trying to be the safest I can be and I am not much of a medicine taker to start with).

lemon.extract 04-20-2013 08:39 AM

I have been sleeping with my torso raised the last two nights, it has helped sooo much.

leyash 04-20-2013 08:40 AM

take a bite of yogurt. not only is it healthy for you, but it's thick enough to "stay" while milk and such (even though they do help heartburn) only helps for a few minutes.

Sparklebug 04-20-2013 04:05 PM

Papaya enzymes. My midwife rec'd them, they work great. I take these. I'm just starting to use acv also, so maybe I won't need the enzymes soon, but they're nice to have on hand in case I do.

nettepoet 04-20-2013 08:43 PM

yes, papaya pills can help, too! but i just do the apple cider vinegar all the time so i havent even gotten heartburn this pregnancy. i had it bad with my son.

you can put the apple cider vinegar in however much water you can stand it in...more water dilutes the taste but it means you have more to drink before it is over with! pinch your nose and gulp, it isnt that bad and you will get used to it.

jessicanashville 04-20-2013 09:05 PM

I also used acv... I had it all day...everyday so bad I would cough from it. Btw: my baby had tons of hair :) if he was a girl I could have put a barrette in it right away lol

Mom2Connor 04-20-2013 09:05 PM

I have really really bad heartburn/acid reflux when pregnant. I end up drinking a ton of milk, it's the only thing (for me) that soothes the burn. It will get so bad I gag, wake up gagging and running to throw up, etc.

It sounds like you want something natural, so hopefully one of the suggestions works. But mine was so bad that I had to use maalox until it didn't cut it anymore, then my OB ok'd one of te 24 hour pepcid tabs a day. It worked great and both my boys are totally healthy. Good luck

Nijntje 04-21-2013 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leyash (Post 16515288)
take a bite of yogurt. not only is it healthy for you, but it's thick enough to "stay" while milk and such (even though they do help heartburn) only helps for a few minutes.

:thumbsup: I'm partial to milk, but yogurt and custard are my backups.

eta: a friend of mine swears by chewing on cardamom seeds