Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Baby!.. and help needeed/vent... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510269)

vonnief 04-20-2013 02:50 PM

Baby!.. and help needeed/vent...

Harper Madison Grace arrived this morning at 12:29PM, 8 lbs 8oz and 20" long! I will post pics later!

The aftermath of this delivery has left me heartbroken and in desperate need of advice or suggestions anyone can offer.

So I was a VBAC hopeful delivering at a birthing center, went in to the center about 5PM yesterday and progressed well until 11PM, where I stopped at a stretchy 7cm until 9AM this morning. Baby was VERY high and HB a little higher than usual the whole time. Midwives thought it was dehydration and kept me full of IV fluids.

At 9AM, midwives said it was time to go into the hospital to try pitocin and epi. Got both, and at 11AM this morning still had no progress and was at the strechy 7. When the doctor broke my water, she saw meconium and recommended c-section. I agreed.

Harper came out beautiful and perfect, but upon further inspection pediatrician noticed that she had really high breathing rates (80 to 100 times a minute), but oxygen and color is great.

Chest x-ray showed 'more fluid than I would like to see' per the pedi, and turns out I had a fever of 103 after my c-section. After my husband BEGGED the pedi, she finally let me do some skin to skin with the baby for about 10 minutes. Baby girl was breathing fine, except for 1 incident where she did the dog panting thing. This is the only contact I've had with my daughter since she was born. :cry:

Now they want to keep her for a week here to do IV antibiotics. This isn't my first c-section, and I remember with the first they let me get up and walk around shortly after. Is it so much for me to ask to sit in the nursery and do skin to skin? If she has an infection, it won't cure it, but it sure will help her adjust, IMO.

Also, they won't let me nurse her, and are giving her sugar water fluids to keep her blood sugars regular. I am right next to the nursery, and she's the only one in there, and I can just hear her scream and scream and there's nothing I can do. I feel so heartbroken and run down.

Does anyone else think that I should be able to go to the nursery and do skin to skin with her? Should I be making a fuss about it?

Also, because of my fever they are giving me 3 different antibiotics. Dr. Hale said that they all were OK, with the obvious risks of thrush, GI issues, ect. Should I be pumping now or wait until maybe they will let her eat in a later tonight or tomorrow?

fantasia1117 04-20-2013 02:57 PM

Re: Baby!.. and help needeed/vent...

Why can't you be in the nursery with her?

mibarra 04-20-2013 03:49 PM

Start pumping, every 4 hours around the clock. If nothing comes out pump for 20 minutes. If some does, pump for 5-10 minutes after it stops. Ask to see the LC people, in this situation insurance should cover a hospital grade pump.

Based on your description I see absolutely no reason why you can't do skin to skin. Ask to do it. If they say no, ask why not. There may be some medical reason, but they encourage it as soon as possible with NICU babies. That sounds crazy.

momneedssupport 04-20-2013 03:50 PM

:cry:

I would pushing for nursing. Ive never been in your place, but def would be pumping or nursing! Big hugs!!!!

vonnief 04-20-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fantasia1117
Why can't you be in the nursery with her?

The OB, pedi and other clinical workers all finger point on who gives the approval. So nobody will give me the OK.

EmilytheStrange 04-20-2013 03:56 PM

Oh I am so sorry, that is horrible. I would totally push for skin to skin. Raise a ruckus!

And I would start pumping.

There doesn't sound like a good reason to not let you hold her or nurse her. I may be missing something, but my friend just delivered a baby who needed oxygen and glucose and they still let her hold her.

NappyChappy 04-20-2013 04:04 PM

Re: Baby!.. and help needeed/vent...

Fight for your rights mama! So sorry your having to deal with this big hugs.

mibarra 04-20-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vonnief (Post 16516347)

The OB, pedi and other clinical workers all finger point on who gives the approval. So nobody will give me the OK.

Then just go. I don't think they can keep you out of the nursery if the babies in there. The OB isn't in charge of baby care, it would either be the pedi or hospital policy. You can always play dumb and say you thought they said it was OK....

Mom2Connor 04-20-2013 04:22 PM

That sounds like a miserable experience, but if you have a fever that high and baby is having issues already, it doesn't seem like a good idea to be with baby right now, hard as that may be. I am so sorry! Even if baby was healthy, I would worry about contact with her with a fever of 103.

mommypockets 04-20-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2Connor
That sounds like a miserable experience, but if you have a fever that high and baby is having issues already, it doesn't seem like a good idea to be with baby right now, hard as that may be. I am so sorry! Even if baby was healthy, I would worry about contact with her with a fever of 103.

This.

So sorry it has turned out this way! Hope everyone is back to normal temps/no infections very soon! Good luck!