Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   question about the pee pee dance (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510517)

gghmommy 04-21-2013 03:51 PM

question about the pee pee dance

We were trying, and since I only was making her go sit on the potty like every 30 min to an hour and then within 5 min of getting off potty with no success, she'd wet her panties, we are taking a break. Just after starting this break, DD had some crazy bad and frequent poop that hurt her bottom, so she'd tell me very quickly, if I didn't notice, to change her. Now she's telling me every time she goes wet or poop, so that's improvement- she notices! and I am noticing a change in her behavior as she is going or maybe just before she starts, don't know for sure on the timing. my question is this: when you're trying to potty train, and the child does this potty dance, do you have them go to sit on the potty then or pick them up? I'm sure she's still at the stage where she'll be done if we don't move with lightning speed! I just want a little better plan when we try next time (when I'm planning to have my mom come visit and she can bottle feed the babe or watch for DD's signs when I nurse, otherwise I am having difficulty when I need to be actively involved with both at the same time!). thanks!

Kelly3139 04-27-2013 05:07 PM

Re: question about the pee pee dance

I was going through the same thing! I have a nursling and my DD decides shes ready to use the potty. In the beginning you just want success which is pee in the potty. So when she starts potty dancing run and place her on the potty. Having a small potty in the room you are in is the easiest. It took DD a couple of weeks to be able to hold it long enough to run to the bathroom on her own. Now at 3 weeks in she can hold it until we get there.

gghmommy 04-30-2013 01:09 PM

thanks for someone finally responding! We're taking a break for now, but she is continuing to tell me she's wet/stinky, so that's improvement, and the walk is hilarious! DS will be 3 mo this week, so maybe soon we'll revisit no diapers for DD.

Kelly3139 04-30-2013 03:25 PM

I highly recommend reading "Oh Crap Potty Training" very insightful :)

Leiiki 04-30-2013 03:50 PM

The thing that made the biggest difference for us was having a potty nearby ALL THE TIME. We had two in the house, upstairs and down, plus a My Carry Potty in the car that went everywhere with us for quite a while. We were "those people" with a potty on the median or behind a tree at the park.

You don't want to focus on holding it at this stage, you want to focus on "pee and poop go in the potty." Getting her to a potty ASAP is the goal.

I honestly feel that going cold turkey is the best way. It was three days of hell, but she was 100% by day six and has had only the normal 1-day regressions or distracted accidents since then.

I like the book Time to Pee by Mo Willems - DD was already PLed when we read it, but it really reinforced the potty nicely.