Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pumping Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   When did you start pumping after your LO arrives? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510520)

Pixi6s 04-21-2013 03:56 PM

When did you start pumping after your LO arrives?

If you are planning on BFing but you are also going back to work in a few months, when did you start finding time to pump?

Thanks!

keonli 04-22-2013 07:55 AM

Re: When did you start pumping after your LO arrives?

I didn't start pumping until 3 weeks, but I think it would have been better if I started right away, while DD was nursing on the other side.

Pixi6s 04-22-2013 10:39 AM

With my first I think I waited like 3 or 4 weeks, whatever the recommended time to wait "to establish good BFing" 3 years ago. But then I felt like I was swimming up hill because I wasn't making any extra than what my son was drinking and it was discouraging. I did end up with a little bit of a supply but I wondering if starting earlier would make since... maybe week 2... I imagine it'll also depend on when I feel I can actually pump and still make enough for baby.

va703 04-22-2013 10:56 AM

After the first week. I added a morning pumping session during his morning nap.

greenfrogger 04-23-2013 01:39 PM

I have been pumping 1-2 times daily since about 2 weeks after DS was born. I don't go back to work until August, but I'm building up a good freezer stash in the meantime!

Pixi6s 04-24-2013 06:24 AM

Wow that will be a big freezer stash!

NappyChappy 04-27-2013 02:06 PM

At 3 weeks 1-2 times a day.

FrozenBooty 04-28-2013 04:30 AM

I recommend earlier than later if you have ever had supply issues.

Pixi6s 04-29-2013 06:54 AM

I didn't really have issue. My son was essentially EBF (besides some beginning foods) until about 2 weeks before he turned 1. I did eventually have to start relying on the freezer stash heavily, and while it was okay it wasn't a HUGE stash. I was out of the house 4 days a week.

He has a mix of milks for a few weeks. I think because the whole thing stressed me out the pump stopped getting anything and around 1 year I had to accept that he would get cows milk when I wasn't around. We did parttime bf until 18 months.

I did well. But I remember it was hard starting out, and thought it might be better to avoid that...

GEMQEMCABOOSE 04-29-2013 07:38 AM

I pump as soon as my milk comes in.