Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Formula/bottles (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510716)

Mama*Kim 04-22-2013 09:32 AM

Formula/bottles

Is it ok to keep refilling the same bottle all day? I just took in my 11 month old nephew and realized that I really have no experience with formula. His siblings and mom have generally done it that way, but it seemed odd to me. Am I just being overly cautious?

s@hmommy 04-22-2013 09:40 AM

Re: Formula/bottles

Are you washing it in between? I would wash if after every use, formula can dry and get crusty, not to mention when it spoils it smells awful! I usually keep enough bottles for the day with measured water in them so I can grab a clean one and just add in the powder (if that is what you use) quickly. Then, wash at the end of the day on sanitize in the dishwasher (we use glass bottles).

Mama*Kim 04-22-2013 09:45 AM

Sometimes they rinse it in between, but usually they just let the bottle lie wherever it falls throughout the day. When its empty, they may or may not rinse it, then it just gets refilled. He's going to be one in a couple of weeks, so I'm going to work on weaning out some of the bottles soon, and he's a great eater. I only have three bottles for him, but I think that should be ok for a few weeks. Even if there's always one dirty, one in use and one ready to be used, I think it will be fine.

momtojande 04-22-2013 09:45 AM

Wow, no, I certainly wouldn't. Unless you're washing it out between each use. Otherwise there are going to be little drops left slowly getting bad all day.

Rhianna'sMommy 04-22-2013 09:57 AM

My SIL only ever bought 1 bottle for my nephew (exclusively bottle fed). But she always washed the bottle immediately after using it with soap and hot water. I would never reuse a bottle at's been laying around without washing it first. You should be fine with 3 bottles - just wash them before reusing them.

escapethevillage 04-22-2013 10:00 AM

I occasionally use the same bottle again, but I rinse it really well. Usually, the child will have several hours between bottles, so I just throw it in the sink, then when I need one, I'll get another one.

I love the Playtex drop ins because it's so much easier for me than bottles. I hate dr Brown Bottles because you have to have all the parts for each bottle every time, or crap grows in them.

DiannaVB 04-22-2013 10:24 AM

We always wash them in between uses. We have 9 bottles so we can wash once per day.

Hungry Caterpillar 04-22-2013 10:24 AM

I don't think that's okay. I fully wash all parts in between usage. My husband once left one in the baby's room and the next morning I opened it and it looked like some cottage cheese was starting :yuck:

Do you need some additional bottles? I have some including a few with nipples that were never used. PM me if you want me to send them.

I'm a failed breastfeeder so I became a formula/bottle expert ;)

DallasK 04-22-2013 10:28 AM

I would never use a bottle all day. I imagine that it must smell rotten, milk finds a way in all the nooks and crannies. I have had to re-use a bottle before but fully washed it in super hot water before reusing. I've haven't seen a bottle just be refilled like that before. Maybe they are assuming you will have to be hand washing in between?

Mom2Connor 04-22-2013 10:39 AM

That's completely disgusting and not healthy or safe. You can only use formula for an hr after it's been out/drank from anyway, so no you can't just use a bottle that's been laying around all day. Gross gross gross! I'm so glad baby is with you now. He must have built up one heck of an immune system.