Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Class of woodchucks!! Mean Parent? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510747)

mycdsqueaker 04-22-2013 10:51 AM

Class of woodchucks!! Mean Parent?

Lol, ok not really but ODD came with with yet another request for pencils, 20 of the.. I'll have sent in SIX boxes of pencils this year. SIX! I don't get how one first grade child could go though that many pencils. Of course stuff will need to be replaced but I feel like I am always sending in new supplies.

I think next year, I will send in a box of supplies with my daughter the first week of school. School supplies are super cheap then! Pencils, markers, glue., tissues, sanitizer, etc. and explain that it's all I'm sending in for the year. If there are special projects I will donate but for the basics that's it. I would also like my child to be the only one to use her own supplies.. I will replace those of course as she needs. This year her teacher told me they all pool together their supplies. I'm over the pooling

Anyone else ever do something like that?

DallasK 04-22-2013 10:56 AM

Re: Class of woodchucks!! Mean Parent?

Our local schools do the "pooling" supplies also, but only for the younger grades. I guess some parents make up for the other parents not sending supplies. Kind of reminds me of how I feel with how much we have to pay in taxes while others walk away with big returns.

MDever 04-22-2013 10:57 AM

The pooled supplies seems to be the way they do it now. That sure does seem like a ton of pencils. I noticed when I taught that lots of the families do not contribute supplies so I paid for lots of things myself. You should not be responsible for supplying other kids basic supplies.

MDever 04-22-2013 10:58 AM

dp

ulawolf 04-22-2013 11:01 AM

I go before school during sales when they are like .25 a box I buy like $5 worth. I stock up on so much stuff for like $20 when the kids were younger I would give them all to the teacher with a quick note saying I hope this helps the class this year. That's all I send

luvsviola 04-22-2013 11:05 AM

If you already sent in that many, I'd say it is someone else's turn and not send any.

SaraElise 04-22-2013 11:05 AM

As a former teacher, it is INSANE the number of pencils kids lose or break in a year.

Most likely other parents are being asked to provide glue, scissor and crayons for the class as well so it's spread out over everyone.

Our school only provided 1 set of basic supplies at the start of the year, and that doesn't last very long.

It's also a pain in the butt to keep track of every individual child's supplies and send home notes to that specific parent (and the 20 others in the class) to let them know what their child is missing or needs replaced.

tjs77tsa 04-22-2013 11:32 AM

I also bought large amounts when they were on sale I sent half of them at the beginning of the year and half after winter break.

mycdsqueaker 04-22-2013 11:45 AM

This weeks newsletter requests pencils. Same newsletter goes out to everyone. It's not like a fill in the blank kinda thing.
Last week was glitter and glue. Week before that was sometbing else. There are always reminders in her weekly newsletter to check supplies.

Our schools don't supply anything to start with.

EmmaGM 04-22-2013 11:55 AM

That's a LOT of pencils... Maybe children constantly losing pencils should be responsible for replacing them?