Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Who do you choose to be God parent? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1510835)

3 ladybugs 04-22-2013 02:47 PM

Who do you choose to be God parent?

I am meaning actual God parent, not guardian should the unthinkable happen.

Many probably know my story as I have shared it on here before, but here it is in a nutshell if you haven't heard it before. I was baptized LCMS lutheran in 2002 as an adult (I am 36 now). 18 months later (roughly) I married a Roman Catholic and converted. About 18 months ago, we agreed that we couldn't be Roman Catholic anymore and we went back to LCMS Lutheran. I am pretty sure that we are officially Lutheran now, though I could check with the pastor. There was no ceremony or anything but we went through the classes with the pastor.

DS and our lost children were all baptized Roman Catholic, and we were told that DS would just be confirmed when he gets old enough LCMS Lutheran.

We have family that is Roman Catholic. Right now we only have 1 family member that is Lutheran and that is my step father, who is not practicing. I am due to have another child and I would like this child to have a God parent. However with only one family member Lutheran, and me having VERY strong reasons not to be Catholic, I am not sure what I should do in naming someone "God parent" to our new son. We have only been going to this church for about 18 months, and while we know people, I wonder if it is too much to ask one of them to be our child's God parent. KWIM?

We have a separate guardian to our children. My cousin, who is said person, isn't religious.

So what would you do? I believe we need to choose someone who is in good standing in their home church. That limits us down to just my in-laws (who are DS God parents) but they are Roman Catholic and I suspect MIL has issues with Lutherans (not sure but she has said some strange things to us since we have converted). They are not happy Roman Catholics at the moment either.

stevensmom 04-22-2013 02:54 PM

Re: Who do you choose to be God parent?

Me and my kids are baptised from a lutheran church. They both have the same God Parents (Sister #2 and her husband, Sister #3, and my bil)...that will be the same for "Opidy"

We aren't major church goers and neither are the God Parents. I think the point of them is to help the child look towards God and answer any questions they have about them.

But again my own God Parents weren't major church goers either.

DallasK 04-22-2013 02:55 PM

Not sure, we are Catholic and only practicing Catholics can be our children's godparents. At our old church it wasn't as strict so my oldest has non-Catholic godparents. I think you should call your church to check first, that way you know for sure. Also, members of your church community can be godparents also.

ETA, my daughter's god parents will be members of our church since we have no nearby family who is Catholic. They were very flattered and honored.

happysmileylady 04-22-2013 03:01 PM

Well, our kids are baptized Roman Catholic and I am not sure if the Lutheran faith is the same, but when we baptized the two younger ones, not quite two years ago, we were told that our children's Godparents didn't need to be Catholic. Maybe check into whether or not that's a requirement for your church. If not, then perhaps you could select family members that you trust that are currently Catholic but maybe not practicing or not all that devout in the Catholic faith.

My youngest's Godmother is non denominational Christian.

SaraElise 04-22-2013 03:06 PM

Technically, as a Catholic, I cannot be a God parent for a non Catholic child. That doesn't mean that people don't do it though.

For Catholics at least on Godparent needs to be a practicing Catholic, but the other can be a "Christian Witness" (can still call them a Godparent, but they are listed on the Baptismal certificate as a Christian Witness), someone of another Christian denomination practicing their faith.

We personally take the role of Godparent very seriously and only pick those who actually are attending Mass regularly and living their faith since for us, the point is to help guide our child in the Church. I don't know much about the Lutheran church except for that it is close to Catholicism in many ways. I would assume they have similar guidelines for choosing a Godparent.

Rhianna'sMommy 04-22-2013 03:09 PM

Do you have to have a god parent? If no one fits your personal requirements, wouldn't it be better to not have one than one you're not comfortable with? I'm not at all familiar with the lutheren faith to know if you have to have a god parent. I grew up methodist and we didn't do god parents.

Fishie Kisses 04-22-2013 03:10 PM

Our children are baptized Catholic (I am Catholic, DH is not, but we were married in the church) and they all have the same Godparents. The are family friends. I actually used to babysit their kids, now their daughter watches my boys when she is home from college. They are the loveliest people I could have ever picked.

happysmileylady 04-22-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

For Catholics at least on Godparent needs to be a practicing Catholic, but the other can be a "Christian Witness" (can still call them a Godparent, but they are listed on the Baptismal certificate as a Christian Witness), someone of another Christian denomination practicing their faith.
See, this is exactly not how my kids were baptized. My SIL, who is a non-denominational Christian, and my BIL who is a non practicing Southern Baptist are both Godparents for my two younger ones, and both are listed as Godparent on the certificate. Now, DH and I, while registered as parishioners in the church we had the kids baptized in, have been to church about 5 times since we got married...well, 6 if you count the wedding itself. So maybe that has something to do with it. But the priest did list their Godparents AS Godparents, not "Christian Witnesses."

Fishie Kisses 04-22-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraElise (Post 16522449)
Technically, as a Catholic, I cannot be a God parent for a non Catholic child. That doesn't mean that people don't do it though.

We personally take the role of Godparent very seriously and only pick those who actually are attending Mass regularly and living their faith since for us, the point is to help guide our child in the Church. I don't know much about the Lutheran church except for that it is close to Catholicism in many ways. I would assume they have similar guidelines for choosing a Godparent.

this has been true for every church I have attended, as well as the rule that if the Godparent is married, they have to have been married in the Catholic church

stevensmom 04-22-2013 03:25 PM

Only my sister's are baptized Lutheran for my children. My BIL (sister's hubby) I really don't know what he's baptized. My BIL (dh's brother) is baptized Presbyterian.

And there was no "requirement" for them when they became my kids God Parents. On my kids certificates it's marked as God Parents not witnesses