Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Gestational Diabetes & Neonatal Hypoglycemia (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1511267)

BeccaSueCongdon 04-23-2013 08:31 PM

Gestational Diabetes & Neonatal Hypoglycemia

Have any of you experienced GD, and then had to have extra monitoring for baby in the postpartum period? I'm pregnant with baby 3, have GD, and am anxious about what it will mean for baby after birth. My first baby had hypoglycemia and they took him away to the NICU for 24 hours. I have a lot of anxiety about that happening again and am wondering if anyone has ever had baby screened/treated for hypoglycemia in your presence/room. I'd prefer to still have baby with me and skin to skin and nursing than have then shuttled off to a NICU and kept alone on an IV. :-(

bcb1961 04-24-2013 06:39 AM

Re: Gestational Diabetes & Neonatal Hypoglycemia

I'm in the same boat, interested in hearing what others say. I will likely insist on keeping the baby with me.

MDever 04-24-2013 07:16 AM

Fionn was born at 9lb 13oz in Feb. I did not have GD but am insulin resistant. He had glucose testing due to "macrosomia" and his blood sugar was too borderline. When they tested again it was too low. In the 30's and they wanted a minimum of 40. My previous baby had a visit to nursery for a breathing issue and got a staph infection from being in there:cry: which resulted in a longer stay. My priority was to keep him out of NICU and get him home asap. There is no way to force my milk to come in and I gave him the formula. I am a militant breast feeder but there was no way I was letting him go to NICU and having a line put in if we could avoid it. He needed the calories/carbs. I nursed him constantly between bottles of 15mls we kept his glucose up for three sticks and were home at 24 hours from birth:goodvibes: Very personal choice that worked for us. He has never had a bottle since and transitioned great to ebf.

MDever 04-24-2013 07:16 AM

stinking double post

Pikemommy 04-24-2013 08:06 AM

I had GD with babies #1 and #3.
#1: 7lb 9oz vaginal delivery. We did skin to skin immediately and I got to breastfeed immediately. His sugars dropped about an hour after birth and he did need an IV. He only left us to get the IV put in and was with us after that. It was really hard to BF'd him because he was so incredibly sleepy. Completely naked with cool cloths on his feet, arm pits, and head would not wake him up. It was really frustrating. My milk took forever to come in and they wouldn't take out the IV unless he was getting milk to keep his sugars up AKA we couldn't go home. We did a special feeder and gave him formula and he was able to get off the IV really fast. I did not end up BFing him, I was too scared he wasn't getting anything and his sugars would drop again. He had a really hard time going back to the boob after having the bottle and I unfortunately had to go back to work at 6wks PP.

#3: 8lb 9oz and he went straight to my chest and straight to my boob :-) He didn't need an IV and my milk came in much faster (being my 3rd baby). No issues at all!

MinkaK 04-24-2013 08:55 AM

I had GD each pregnancy. I guess I have always been insulin resistant but before pregnancy I ate a very good diet and exercised daily and I never had problems.

Pregnancy 1: Diagnosed at 28-30weeks. On glyburide then insulin. Ds1 was born at 9.2lbs at 37w4d. It was a vacuum extraction then they had to break his clavicle to get him out. He was in the NICU for a week then the PICU for a week.

Pregnancy 2: Diagnosed at 6 weeks ( I asked for the glucola very early due to DS1 birth). Was on glyburide then insulin. DD was born at 8.9lbs at 36w3d. She spent 6 weeks in the NICU due to hypoglycemia. She had formula and breastmilk in nicu and transitioned to bf full time when she came home.

Pregnancy 3: Diagnosed at 6 weeks. . On insulin from start and exercised hard every day. DS2 was 8.1lb at 38w3d. No nicu, came home in two days.

BeccaSueCongdon 04-24-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinkaK
I had GD each pregnancy. I guess I have always been insulin resistant but before pregnancy I ate a very good diet and exercised daily and I never had problems.

Pregnancy 1: Diagnosed at 28-30weeks. On glyburide then insulin. Ds1 was born at 9.2lbs at 37w4d. It was a vacuum extraction then they had to break his clavicle to get him out. He was in the NICU for a week then the PICU for a week.

Pregnancy 2: Diagnosed at 6 weeks ( I asked for the glucola very early due to DS1 birth). Was on glyburide then insulin. DD was born at 8.9lbs at 36w3d. She spent 6 weeks in the NICU due to hypoglycemia. She had formula and breastmilk in nicu and transitioned to bf full time when she came home.

Pregnancy 3: Diagnosed at 6 weeks. . On insulin from start and exercised hard every day. DS2 was 8.1lb at 38w3d. No nicu, came home in two days.

We're you induced with any of them?

Three Little Monkeys 04-24-2013 10:21 AM

I had GD with my first 2 and I was diabetic with my third and this pregnancy now. My first had no trouble he was 8.6 induced at 38 weeks. My second had just a little trouble and was given sugar water with a syringe. She was 10.12. Induce at 39+4. My third was also given sugar water with a syringe and had a few extra sugar checks. She was 9.8. Induced at 38 weeks. I nursed all three of them round the clock just to make sure their sugars would stay up. This time I plan to pump and take milk with me to the hospital in case it's needed instead of the sugar water. My dh also stays right by the baby at all times making sure only a syringe is used and no bottle or formula is offered.

BeccaSueCongdon 04-24-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three Little Monkeys
I had GD with my first 2 and I was diabetic with my third and this pregnancy now. My first had no trouble he was 8.6 induced at 38 weeks. My second had just a little trouble and was given sugar water with a syringe. She was 10.12. Induce at 39+4. My third was also given sugar water with a syringe and had a few extra sugar checks. She was 9.8. Induced at 38 weeks. I nursed all three of them round the clock just to make sure their sugars would stay up. This time I plan to pump and take milk with me to the hospital in case it's needed instead of the sugar water. My dh also stays right by the baby at all times making sure only a syringe is used and no bottle or formula is offered.

Thanks for sharing. :-) I'm hoping to pump and bring colostrum with me to give in case baby needs it.

songbird516 04-24-2013 11:03 AM

This might be helpful
http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...ugar&Itemid=17

This is one part that stood out to me
There is no lowest level of blood sugar that is universally accepted as meaning the baby has low blood sugar. Because of this atmosphere of hyper-concern about low blood sugar, the level of sugar keeps being raised to absurd levels. In many hospitals now, 3.4 mmol/L (60 mg %) is now considered the lowest acceptable blood sugar. This is patently aberrant and there is no evidence to back up such a level as the lowest acceptable blood sugar concentration.

Personally I would not allow my baby to be taken away for this reason. I feel that it causes a lot more harm than it may possibly (but there is scant evidence) prevent.