Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   is it worth even trying? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1511321)

leyash 04-24-2013 06:42 AM

is it worth even trying?

i am 38 weeks today. went to the doctor yesterday, am a fingertip dilated. didn't mention effacement, but he did say my cervix was still long. i was 3cm dilated at 38-39 weeks with my youngest. ergh.

anyway... i am REALLY wanting to get this show on the road. if i am at all dilated, is it safe to say my body is ready? should i even attempt doing things that will help this along, or would it just wear me out (even more) than it would help?

i'm drinking RRL tea. i have an exercise ball. as uncomfortable as it is, was thinking about DTD tonight (hello full moon!) also going to try to do some things around the house to stay as active as i can, and maybe go for a walk later if it warms up a bit... just don't want to do a whole bunch of stuff for nothing.

doctor said if there is no cervical change by my next appt, that he won't induce at 39w. and at that point, i fear having a baby too large to birth. :/

Pixi6s 04-24-2013 06:48 AM

Re: is it worth even trying?

I would say who knows as it if it'll help but it's bad for you to get some extra exercise and such. I wouldn't push too hard though - you don't want to go into labor and be exhausted already.

Good Luck, wishing you happy baby dust.

UVASahm 04-24-2013 07:01 AM

I don't think it would hurt to do some stuff to help it along. I went into labor on a full moon so good luck!!!

babylove921 04-24-2013 07:24 AM

Why are you afraid of a too big baby? Do you have a history of large babies?

Pikemommy 04-24-2013 07:52 AM

I'd say try what you are comfortable with. Your body won't go into labor if it's not ready, but doing the things you suggested may help ripen you up a bit so when labor does start it will be shorter :-) What about Evening Primrose Oil?

Solomon's Mama 04-24-2013 09:08 AM

I always try to do little things at the end to help things along. Nothing drastic, just lots of walking, DTD, etc. DTD works wonders for us...it always got contractions going and both of my previous pregnancies I was dilated a lot before ever hitting full blown labor. So personally, I don't see any issue with doing little things here and there to help your body. As far as having a big baby, most doctors seem to worry about that way more than mamas ever do so if it is an issue, I'm sure your doctor would speak up about it and do something if needed.

songbird516 04-24-2013 11:27 AM

I was dilated for at least 2 weeks with my second, but he came when he was ready. I don't think that trying a lot of things to get labor going is a good idea. I fell into the trap of trying with my second after he was overdue, but it didn't work, it was more stressful, and you really can make your labor longer and worse trying to force your baby out before your body and the baby is ready. I've said it before, but I was sure that my second was "ready"; he was engaged, I was dilated and effacing, etc...but he was still little one week past his due date and not "overcooked" in the least. My placenta was awesome and he still had some vernix, etc. He was also only 7 pounds 4 ounces.
Trying to get him out only served to be disappointing and stressful, and that was with a good outcome. You can give yourself prodromal labor, or get contractions going with your baby in a difficult position, which sets you up for a more difficult labor. Just not a great idea imo.

Sarawithouth 04-24-2013 11:56 AM

No, I'm in the camp that does not think medical inductions are a good idea, unless medically indicated. Your baby's lungs will release a protein which triggers labor - it has nothing to do with how dilated you are or how comfortable you feel!

I know it's hard these last few weeks, mama. But you won't be pregnant forever, you won't grow a baby you can't birth unless you have a medical condition, and it is better in the long run for your baby and you if you go into labor naturally.

JennTheMomma 04-24-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarawithouth (Post 16529377)
No, I'm in the camp that does not think medical inductions are a good idea, unless medically indicated. Your baby's lungs will release a protein which triggers labor - it has nothing to do with how dilated you are or how comfortable you feel!

I know it's hard these last few weeks, mama. But you won't be pregnant forever, you won't grow a baby you can't birth unless you have a medical condition, and it is better in the long run for your baby and you if you go into labor naturally.

I agree with this. Dialation does not mean you're ready for labor nor is it an indication of when you'll go into labor. I always start to dialate before 36 weeks and my babies were born at 41 weeks, 39 weeks and 41 weeks 2 days (no inductions). RRL is just a uterine toner, it helps your uterus clamp down after birth and reduces your risk of PPH. Sex can help you contract but it's braxton hicks or early labor (which is not the same as active labor) and usually stops within 24 hours. The newest research on how/when/why a woman goes into labor does say that the lungs trigger a hormone that starts labor (of course there are expections like in cases of premature labor). Rarely does a woman truly need a medical induction because her body fails to go into labor. You're not even late until past 42 weeks, so you still have a lot of time to bake that baby and for that baby to become mature and start labor.

Why are you or your Doctor concerned about a big baby? Real "big baby" is rare.

Pixi6s 04-24-2013 12:27 PM

She hasn't posted yet but the OP has posted before and is worried about a 11+ lb baby. If she is as small as her profile pic suggests I can understand her worry...